Sign in to follow this  

Help!

Hi guys,

I need help with controlling the bike in the air. I was at the track the other day and I realized that "when" I get the courage to go big and clear a big jump, in the air it almost feels like I freeze up and I don't know what is going on. Should I just try to relax more? Anyways thanks for any further help.

BTW, got any tips on long sweeping hard packed turns? Thanks again.

[Abandoned]

If you freeze up then you are not comfortable jumping that big. Only thing thats gonna cure it is lots of practice. If possible, try just doing the one jump you freeze up on over and over til you feel like you can move around abit. There is no magic technique that makes you suddenly comfortable on a mx bike. Your body and mind need to learn what to do at the same time. Keep practicing!

It takes a while, when I use to jump I couldn't do anything just watched it all go buy me. But here's a tip if your front tire is down get on the gas to bring it back up, front end is up real high tap you're rear brake, and i mean tap.

Thanks guys. I hope I can get out to the track tommorow to practice that jump that I freeze up on. It's actually pretty small. But I mean big for me. It is about 45-50 foot long table top and then a 50ft double and a 25 ft double (that is about 10 ft tall=scary!)....Anyways if I can remember this time I will get pictures and video.

Relaxing is the only thing that will keep you from "dead sailoring" while in the air. While you are jumping jumps that you are comfortable on, try to start moving around on the bike. Grab a tear off, pull the clutch, take your feet off the pegs, whatever. This will get you more and more confortable with being "out of control" while in the air. Once you are completely comfortable while in the air on the smaller jumps, it won't be that big of a deal on the big jumps. Just don't try a large jump while you are unconfident and tired. That's a sure way to loop out.

Here's some sweeper advice I gave to someone else...

10-12 psi in the tires, but more than likely it's technique. On sweepers you need to be sitting on the outside edge of the seat up near the tank. Really weight the outside peg while pushing your outside knee hard against the radiator shroud. Keep your outside elbow up and stay fairly loose in your upper body and let it drift. Don't fight it too much or you could end up high-siding. One other thing, when you really get used to leaning the bike over and getting the bike in a two wheel drift, the bars will actually be turned toward the outside of the turn (ie. left hand sweeper, bars will be slightly turned to the right).

The more you practice jumping...............the more relaxed ou will be doing it. The more relaxed you are, the further your likely to jump. The next thing you know is that your clearing a 120' triple.

Keep on practicing and you'll get there. Nerves are part of the growing pains! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for all the advice. I remember feeling exactly like this when doing little 2 ft tall jump with a 10 ft gap when I first started, lol. I have really progressed since then. I am jumping 50 ft gaps and about 7 ft high (estimate) now. Thanks for the advice on the sweeper. I am going to practice wednesday.

[Abandoned]