Sign in to follow this  

wheelie

i just recently inherited my dads yz250f and i can pull a wheelie really easy in 1st,2nd, and 3rd...but i want to know the best way to ride one.im kinda scared i might get it up too much and flip back.

practice makes perfact just practice clutching it and goin thruogh the gears i just had to practice heaps and i flipped a few time dont try going through the gears until u can do it well in 1 gear but just practice u will pick it up

i just recently inherited my dads yz250f and i can pull a wheelie really easy in 1st,2nd, and 3rd...but i want to know the best way to ride one.im kinda scared i might get it up too much and flip back.

Do not try it if you are not 100% confident,stick to getting better on the track and honing your skills.

wheelies are important! How can you look cool for chicks without this skill?!?! :ride:

just kidding, but what I do is:

1> cover the rear brake. if you're going over, that's how you come back. NOTE: It will slam the front end down HARD if you have to touch that thing. maybe do it a few times (barely loft the front end and touch your rear brake) just to get the feel for it.

2> LEAN BACK. picture this; both of the objects in these two pictures would (probably) balance:

wheelie1.JPG and wheelie2.JPG

So the line in the yellow background is you. The line in the white background is the bike. The more you lean your body off the back of the bike (the STRAIGHTER YOUR ARMS ARE), the less high you have to loft the front end to get to the balance point. If you lean forward (which everyone does when they first start to wheelie, because it's kinda scary), then you REALLY have to pull the front end way up there to get to the balance point. This is bad. You'd rather put more weight towards the back so it balances earlier.

3> I start in 2nd, like mid-RPM. Then I pull in the clutch, rev it up a bit more, and let the clutch out pretty quickly (but trying to be smooth at the same time). AS SOON (right away!) as the front end gets up and starts "floating" (you're at the balance point), I shift into 3rd. I don't pull the clutch when I shift; I just really quick bang the next gear. Once in 3rd, I can go a long ways before I have to shift into 4th or higher.

Like one of the previous posters said; you need to have some pretty good experience before this gets easy. Like getting used to upshifting without using the clutch, you gotta already be good at that. Otherwise, if the whole "shifting thing" sounds a little out of your league right now, just do the "pop up and float it for as long as 2nd gear lasts" thing. :thumbsup:

for more help, search KTMtalk for "WheelieHeath". He's got a huge post on there with questions and answers on how to wheelie.

You'd rather put more weight towards the back so it balances earlier.

sure, it will balance earlier, but i find, by doing this you can't hold them nearly as long.

i own a yz250f and have had it for a couple of months and after a bit of practice i have found a few tricks that help me wheelie:

I find that sitting down for a wheelie is much easier to learn and its not as hard on the body, and with my bike i like to wheelie by giving braaps to the engine, braap-braap-braaaap. first i try to be in low rpm's, (i like the torque there) and with one simple braap i can bring the wheel up just bellow the balance point, this will take some practice, and with a few more braaps, i can keep it just bellow the balance point. i like to keep it below the balance point because i feel more comfortable and i like to use that power to control my height and speed. once you are comfortable with doing this you can start to move your body to adjust and to hold it right under that balance point. and if u get comfortable enough with doing that, u can ride the wheelie until your rpm's get high and its time to change gears, at that point right after your last braap, kick the shifter up with your foot so that your in the next gear by the time you give it another braap.

and DONT FORGET: ALWAYS COVER YOUR BACK BRAKE, it will save you when u do eventually hit that balance point with too much momentum.

if you prefer doing stand up wheelies, i like to lean all the way back with my arms fully extended, and after giving the front end a little bounce to get up, just slowly roll on the throttle to keep your front end rising until you get comfortable with the height.

And finally, once you are comfortable enough with the whole wheelie thing, you can even try leaning to one side a little bit to slowly turn in the wheelie, for me it helps if i turn my handle bars in the opposite direction.

I'm not a expert or anything close but that's what seams to work for me, have fun practice allot. :thumbsup:

sAm.