Sign in to follow this  

Engine oil vanished

I changed my engine oil about 2 weeks ago and never rode the thing after the change. I threw in 630cc's of gear oil into the fill hole.

I didnt see much oil inside the window after the oil change. I was busy so i had to go some where. Fast fwd 2 weeks... I just installed a new exhaust so i started the thing up and rev'd it a little. afterwards i looked into the window and i could hardly see any oil there.

Could it of leaked into the tranny side?

Did you look into the window right after you shut the bike off? If so wait a few minutes and the oil will come back. If not you either never filled the motor with oil, someone stole your oil or it leaked over to the tranny side. Check your transmission to see if its over full.

counter balance shaft things seal, lets most of engine oil get sucked over to tranny side. EZ fix.

the tranny is the side that can leak over, it gets sucked over while decelerating if the seals fail, caused by negative crankcase pressure pulses or something like that, I forget exactly.

But Im going to say the reason you saw no oil is it was distributed in the motor, run it again, shut it off, wait a couple minutes then check again. I'd bet the oil is back.

Id pull both plugs and start over. STarting it again with it possibly being out of oil is a bad idea.

Ive seen engines over fill from the trans and Ive seen vice versa too. But it wont do either if the engine hasnt been run. I think you brain farted and filled the trans and didnt fill the engine, or filled the trans with the engines oil when you got distracted...Ive seen dumber things happen...

My dad poured 4 quarts of oil down the drive way when I was a kid when he forgot to put the drain plug back in after draining our car during an oil change.

Id pull both plugs and start over. STarting it again with it possibly being out of oil is a bad idea.

Ive seen engines over fill from the trans and Ive seen vice versa too. But it wont do either if the engine hasnt been run. I think you brain farted and filled the trans and didnt fill the engine, or filled the trans with the engines oil when you got distracted...Ive seen dumber things happen...

My dad poured 4 quarts of oil down the drive way when I was a kid when he forgot to put the drain plug back in after draining our car during an oil change.

MC- That is funny! How pissed was your Dad?

Reminds me of the time when I worked at a tire/oil change place. Customer walks in totally calm and tells me to come outside because I need to see something. He had the hood of his car in his trunk. Someone didn't completely close the hood and it flew off as he was driving down the road. Luckily, I wasn't the one who worked on the car but I couldn't stop laughing.

MC- That is funny! How pissed was your Dad?

Reminds me of the time when I worked at a tire/oil change place. Customer walks in totally calm and tells me to come outside because I need to see something. He had the hood of his car in his trunk. Someone didn't completely close the hood and it flew off as he was driving down the road. Luckily, I wasn't the one who worked on the car but I couldn't stop laughing.

The only time I saw him madder than that was when I brought home my BSA with the fork bent straight out from jumping the shit out of it and flat landing it so hard when I was 12

the engine side takes about 650cc's of oil correct? What about the tranny side? Maybe i did screw it up. I have massive A.D.D.

great story, I bet he was just pissed