Sign in to follow this  

leaking exhaust pipe

MY muffler (head pipe) on my crf450 has a hair line crack in it. It leaked hot gas onto my carburetor which caused the bike to run and stop. I tried to weld the crack by arcwelding it and was not successful; I then tried to braze it but brass would not adhere to the pipe. Can anyone tell me what material its made of and how to fix it? I will eventually order one.

Not 100% positive, but I'm thinking its stainless. Without the proper rod, arc welding would have been a no-go. Best bets probably gonna be heli-arc, or TIG welding. But now that you have already arc'ed, all that will nedd to be ground out. :thumbsup::ride:

I know that the oem head pipe on my 05 is titanium, not sure about any other years??

Just pick up a used replacement from ebay. There are constantly bikes being parted out on there. Stock headers usually go for cheap. And lots of used aftermarket systems too if you want to go that route.

1st off, is it a R or X.

The 450R is a titanium headpipe.

The 450X is a stainless headpipe.

Try some JB weld. It's a quick fix, but it might get you back on the seat. It worked on the bowl of my carb. for a quick fix.

Later