Sign in to follow this  

Arbuckles South Of OKC

I just moved to OKC and have been hearing about a riding area about an hour south of OKC in the Arbuckles. Anyone have any experience there? I will probably wait till it cools off in a few months before trying to go down there but am curious about the riding. Is it better than the riding around Stanely Draper. Also is Draper still worth riding since they moved most of the riding? Thanks

I don't know about the area you are asking of, but there is a place that is about 2 or 2.5 hours south of OKC just across the Texas/Oklahoma state line called Muenster, or Red River Motorcycle Trails. Check out their website at www.redrivermotorcycletrails.com and you will definitely want to get down there. I go at least 2 times each year, and if you send me a PM I will let you know when our next trip is going to be and you can join us if you like. I would even be willing to try and meet you in OKC to show you the way.

Josh

There is also a area near Stillwater. It is where i ride, when and if it ever cools off. It has lots of woods type stuff as well as motocross type track. It is about a hour north of okc.

Yes, I have been there too. I think they call it "The 500 Acre" but I am not sure. There is also Cooperland at Stillwater, but I think it is only track, no trails. There is a pretty nice riding area at Kaw Lake in northern Oklahoma too, maybe enough to spend 4 or 5 hours there. Not really a place to plan a vacation to but a nice place to go mess around for a while. Then there is Waynoka's Little Sahara, and I hear Beaver Dunes in nice too. Beaver is in far west Oklahoma I think and I hear that it is much less crowded than LS. I have been to LS a few times and it is OK, but you have to watch yourself and not get run over by the buggies and quads. Hope this helps,

Josh

Hey JBrooks thats most hospitable of you. I have ridden Muenster and it is good. Stillwater sounds like an interesting day trip. I am looking for the interesting day trips close to Okie City. Found a website for the Arbuckle area and they claim they are going to have 100 miles of trails by 2008. The area I am really looking forward to exploring in Oklahoma is the southeastern corner in the Kiamichi mountains around Lake Broken Bow. I hear it is an extensive system of roads and trails but that is not a day trip. I am also looking forward to doing Chadwick and some other stuff around the NE Arkansas area. But what I am most looking forward to is the weather COOLING OFF! Thanks for the response, think I'll go noodling. Tim

There is also a area near Stillwater. It is where i ride, when and if it ever cools off. It has lots of woods type stuff as well as motocross type track. It is about a hour north of okc.

Is that the one right off 35 at the Stillwater Exit? I always saw that when we'd ride the street bikes up to eat at Eskimo Joe's and wondered if there was more to it then the track..

There is some trails around lake Murrary as well wich is just southeast of Ardmore

No, I think he is talking about an area that is a few miles south and back west of Stillwater. They call it the 500 acre, you turn south at the first stoplight coming from the west into Stillwater, and go about 2 or 3 miles then turn back west again and go another 2 or 3 miles to the gate. Hope this helps.

Josh

The one you see from the highway is known as area 51. 500 acres is southwest of Stillwater.

The area in southeast Oklahoma , i think, is owned by Weyerhauser, and is supposed to have lots of trails.

Here's a link to that Arbuckle place; http://www.crossbarranch.com/atv.htm

You might want to check out http://www.tulsatrailriders.com/ maybe join the club and go check out their Scipio riding area (20 miles northwest of McAlester). 1700+ acres of good riding there. I might be open to the public by the end of this year. They've been doing a lot of work down there over the last year or so making it into a nice facility.

There's Camp Gruber ORV area just north of Braggs, OK. and Appalachia Bay just outside of Sand Springs, OK on Keystone lake.

Or you check out these clubs/circuits/places to ride

http://www.okiedirtriders.com/ (local club, worth checking out for more info on places to ride and a new social network at the least)

http://www.occra.com/ (there is a very good page on this site devoted to the locations of the series races, it will tell you everything you need to know about each place and if it is open to the public)

http://www.blackjackenduro.com/

http://www.lakedraper.com/

Someone should explain to the owner of the Cross Bar Ranch that the Vehicle Code isn't enforcable on private property.

If it is private property then they can enforce any rules that they feel necessary. If you don't like it then I guess you should find another place to ride.

If it is private property then they can enforce any rules that they feel necessary. If you don't like it then I guess you should find another place to ride.

Uh No the Vehicle code is a set of laws. A person who is not a peace officer can not enforce law. and a cop can't even enforce the vehicle code with the exception of parking in a fire lane or handicap stall on private property. what has to occur is that the property owner must place you under citizens arrest and then the officer can issue a citation however when you goto court to fight the citation the officer is not the one who has to testify it's the property owner who has to prove that you broke some sorrta law and that's going to be hard to do since the owner of the porperty in question probablly isn't a peace officer. now here is the real kicker if the property owner places you under citizens arrest you do not have to stand there you can walk off....if at any time you feel like you can't walk away from someone then you've been placed under "arrest" if that person is not a peace officer and they force you to stay they have in fact placed you under false arrest and if for any reason there actions make you feel like they have the abbilaty to enforce the law they have impersinated a peace officer which is a crime not sure about oklahoma if it's a misdemenor or a felony so you goto court let the land owner look like an ass cuz he's got no training whatsoever then you turn around and have him arrested for placing you under false arrest and impersination of a peace officer......

but it'll never get to that point because no cop in the right mind is going to waste there time driving out to someones ranch to write a speeding ticket......

Oh I dont' need to ride there anyhow 240 acres? pffft i've got over 450,000 acres 18 miles from my door...

Crash, is Arbuckles the same place as the enduro on October 22?

Bob

I plan to ride there and be very polite and represent our sport in an adult and responsible fashion and try to ensure that if it is a good place to ride, I and like minded riders will be welcome to return but I am curious what vehicle code are they trying to enforce. Only rules I have seen so far are boots and helmets are mandatory and thats great. Personally I plan to wear a lot more protection than that. Enlighten me if there are more stringent rules I need to be aware of. Oh by the way they are advertising 2800 acres and hope to have open 100 miles of trail soon. That is nothing to sneeze at in this day and age and yes there is an enduro scheduled there. Thanks, Tim

Spokes... I have no idea... I'd check it out for ya, but all the guys I used to know in the okc club are MIA.

I had thought it was going to be at the new Draper location (right down and across the street from the old place)

Tim, I thought that might me the location of the BJEC enduro. I'd like to give it a try, except that the Oklahoma Dirt Riders re-scheduled to a weekend my club already had a Missouri Hare Scramble Championship race scheduled.