Sign in to follow this  

Tire chaning delima!

I am working on chaning the tire for a friend of mine. The tire I bought was a "slightly used" tire from a local shop. The tread itself is in good condition, and the bead looked fine when I bought it. However, when I install the tire on the rim (following the instructions from the 3 videos on the transworld mx site) all of the bead locks into place except on one section of the rim. On that section, the tire falls INTO the rim. I have to put around 40PSI in the tire to get the bead to lock to the rim, and then when I let the air out and down to around 14~15PSI, I get the same problem with that tire falling back down into the rim.

Below I have a crappy MSPAINT drawing of what it looks like. The part where the arrow is pointing to is the "tire bead". It should be making a perfect circle around the tire, but its just not locking at one part. Is the tire defective, or am I defective and just need to do it again?

tire.jpg

Please dont pay attention to the spoke job, im just an amateur with MSPAINT. :thumbsup:

Loosen the rim lock, let the air out, push the bead down inside the rim and lube up the bead with soapy water on both sides.

It should seat properly.

Either the last owner or you damaged the bead. I would guess it was the previous owner since you went by some direction. Alot of guys have no clue how to install a tire. It is easy, I see guys fighting and tearing beads all the time, puncturing tubes. Jeeze, you only need to be 2 percent smarter than what you are working with. And in this case it is rubber and some alum. Did you have trouble getting the last bit of tire on? Did it sound like it was tearing as you got it on? If not then it was probably the other guy.

Try lubing the bead very good with tire shine. Or tire install lube. You may have to take the tire off to get it really good, then inflate to 35-40 and it should seat. Try leaving it sit for a while then set your pressure, and lock the rim lock. If it is still not working, the bead is just too bad. Next time you buy a used tire, check the bead if there is anything that resembles a kink or bump in the bead then it is shot do not buy it.

Either the last owner or you damaged the bead. I would guess it was the previous owner since you went by some direction. Alot of guys have no clue how to install a tire. It is easy, I see guys fighting and tearing beads all the time, puncturing tubes. Jeeze, you only need to be 2 percent smarter than what you are working with. And in this case it is rubber and some alum. Did you have trouble getting the last bit of tire on? Did it sound like it was tearing as you got it on? If not then it was probably the other guy.

Try lubing the bead very good with tire shine. Or tire install lube. You may have to take the tire off to get it really good, then inflate to 35-40 and it should seat. Try leaving it sit for a while then set your pressure, and lock the rim lock. If it is still not working, the bead is just too bad. Next time you buy a used tire, check the bead if there is anything that resembles a kink or bump in the bead then it is shot do not buy it.

Thank you sir. I did not have trouble getting the tire over the rim, I followed the tricks on that video just as they were shown, so it was an easy task. No tearing sounds that I could hear.

And yes, I do have the correct tire size.

:thumbsup:

Thank you sir. I did not have trouble getting the tire over the rim, I followed the tricks on that video just as they were shown, so it was an easy task. No tearing sounds that I could hear.

Put a mark on the tire where it will not seat. When you deinstall it to lube the hell out of it. Check that area for bead damage. Unless it is really bad you should be able to get it to seat.

You could always try putting that spot where the rim lock is and that may be able to keep it up onto the rim.

As TJ says above, LUBRICATION IS YOUR FRIEND!!! WD-40 will work in a pinch (no pun intended!) dishsoap, hand soap, whatever on both beads. Let the air out, unseat the rest of both sides, lube with soap, and air it up. They should pop on properly. The other note is IF you have the tube rolled under the bead in that area, it will do the same thing so check that after you let the air out. hope this helps :thumbsup:

As TJ says above, LUBRICATION IS YOUR FRIEND!!! WD-40 will work in a pinch

I have used WD-40 to lubricate my tires for years. It works the best. Lube it up and pressurize it to 50psi. It'll seat.