Sign in to follow this  

Custom Seat Makers?

Well, I got my used stock seat from ebay. It only took a half dozen auctions to get one in my price range.

I would like to experiment and make my own more comfortable seat, but I would like suggestions from what you all have experienced.

Could you post the names of custom seat makers so I can go to their websites and get ideas.

If you have a custom seat could you post pictures in your garage and let me know so I can go there and look at them. ( I can't access photobucket and other picture sites)

I know about corbin, and don't like the way they lower the front part of the seat. I want to maintain the flatness of the seat and have a wider part towards the rear for the 50 mile ride to the wildlife management area I like to ride at.

Thanks

I just ordered a Corbin and specified extra foam on the seat nose to prevent the rider slipping forward problem.

This is a common request apparently

Will know in a few weeks if its successful

I do a lot of highway riding.

Check out NatetheGreat's custom seat. It's badass. I'll try and get the name of the guys that did the job. It's somewhere in the Sacramento, CA area. Not sure if they have a website or not though.

EDIT - They're called Guts Racing.

I am not trying to debate the Corbin seat here guys. I am just trying to see as many examples of custom seats for the DRZ that you all have tried.

Links to websites, pics in your garages, any DIY projects would be appreciated. If I have to come up with this totally on my own, it will probably take me several months of thinking of the pros and cons, and then playing with designs in foam before I ever get to covering it.

That is why I bought a spare seat, so I can ride in the meantime.

Thanks for the guts racing tip.

So now I have:

Corbin

Guts Racing

Day Long Saddle

Renazco

Are there any more out there?

I customized my corbin this weekend I drilled out the rivets and cut the closed cell foam as low to base as possible and added a wedge of dense open cell to reduce foward slope , I also cut out the center of the wedge and inserted medium foam in area's where bullet hits the bone . I was able to reuse the cover it is much better and am looking foward to an all day ride if it ever cools down .I did take a couple of pics but can't post now.I got the foam free out of a scrap bin and the can of adhesive was 5 bucks , I may buy some gripper vinyl and have a local shop make a seat cover I wanted to add that I did a google search under motorcycle seat foam and saw some makers

You can see my seat in my garage. It was custom built, on my pan, by Don, who owns Mr Ed's Moto . This is the second seat setup that I have had him do for me. After Bill Meyer Sr.( designer of what became the Russell Day-long seat) passed away, I found Don. For my money,his work is as good as it gets. :thumbsup:

I just put a stock "E" model yellow and blue seat on. Its feels better then the "S" model seat.

Aren't they exactly the same?

Thanks for the pics in the Garages. Keep them coming folks.

Friday morning I went for a 125 mile ride. Mostly curvy hilly two lane, some one lane and some dirt. The pain was very distracting the last 10 miles or so. It keep me from having full situational awareness.

Saturday morning I did 100 miles and I was looking forward to the 30 MPH roads so I could stand up!

When I got home, I went around town in search of some foam of similar density to the stock seat. No luck. Most stock street bike seats that I looked are are 10 inches wide, so I thought that if I could get the densest foam I could find and just glue it to the sides of the seat where I would sit on the street, I might have a better than stock seat.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm sure there are others out there that are wishing the DRZ seat was a little more comfortable.

I'm just curious, why do folks not seem to like a seat the slopes downward (like the Corbin or the Suzuki gel seat)? I find in the woods and hills this pocket helps hold me in where I want to ride without having to hold my self forward.

I'm not looking for brand comparisons, just reasoning for slope vs flat (like OEM).

You could widen your seat in the back with fiberglass. I have seen it but never done it.

Take the cover and foam off.Rough up the plastic with sandpaper. You sculpt the area out of cardboard, styrofoam or wood then layup fiberglass over it. You keep laying layers of fiberglass until you get the desired shape.

Then you can grind the edges off with a body grinder. Sand everything smooth.

Then layer your foam using really dense stuff under your butt.

Finaly stretch a new cover over everything and staple in place.Start in the middle and work outward. Do both sides sor tof at the same time. Work 1 staple on one side then the other , watch to make sure you are stretching evenly. You will have to get a blank of material oversized as the original piece will be too small for your bigger seat.

Look at the shape of a Klr 650 seat.

People don't like the Corbin sloping down, especially with the carbon fiber cover b/c when you are riding on the street, you dont want to end up with your jewels kissing the tank every time you let off the throttle.

Check my garage, I cut it down myself. I have done a 130 mile Dual-Sport ride on it, and a 160 mile freeway ride in SM mode.

Here's a few ideas. Since no one mentioned it, not sure if people were aware of the SDG replacement seat, possibly a good start for a custom seat (if you want to keep a your original seat "stock").

I use an SDG tall seat, available from TT store for under 100. There is also a standard version. For me, this was a lot better for long rides than stock, (maybe because it has thicker foam?). The SDG seat foam is very stiff when new, but after a few hundred miles it has broken in and is very comfortable compared to the stock seat. The tall seat is the one shown in the upper right picture. I'm about 6' tall, and like the extra room.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=330

There is company that sells Vstrom windscreens that has a great custom seat maker overview. They also recommend a special foam, and he gives the full lowdown on how to modify a seat to insert it. Plus he sells one inch thick pieces for 15. if you can't find the special foam locally.

here's the site

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Seats.html#Seats

enjoy

Bob