Sign in to follow this  

Starting problems KTM 450XC

Hi all, I had trouble starting my pony (for the first time since ive owned it), it usually fires up on the first or second kick(no happy button) even when hot. This past weekend it struggled and I eventually had to use the hot start(on carb). It then died while idling which it has never done and stalled easier in tight stuff. I eventually turned up the idling to try stop it stalling. Is it a plug or dirt in the carb? Any ideas?

Even though it is new, I would say check your valves before anything. Tight valves will do exactly what you are describing. Why is there no electric start?

Even though it is new, I would say check your valves before anything. Tight valves will do exactly what you are describing. Why is there no electric start?

What David said, and why is there a "hot start"?

Are you shure its an EXC?

In the 06 (05 would be the same except the XC did not exist) 450's;

EXC is Estart, small bore, long stroke, no hot start, 6 speed wide ratio, spark arrestor & K stand

XC is Estart, big bore, short stroke, no hot start, 6 speed semi wide ratio, K stand.

SX is Kstart, big bore, short stroke, has hot start, 4 speed close ratio, Ti valves.

SMR is Kstart, big bore, short stroke, has hot start, 6 speed close ratio, Ti valves.

Thanks Dave,

Its not brand new(05' XC 450), I just meant it did it for the first time this last weekend, its done about 40 hrs. It has no electric start cause its an XC(cross country) model, not many people know bout them(hybrid between a SX and a EXC).

Ill get those valves checked out...(can I use the Ti valves from the SX??)

cheers

Its not brand new(05' XC 450), I just meant it did it for the first time this last weekend, its done about 40 hrs. It has no electric start cause its an XC(cross country) model, not many people know bout them(hybrid between a SX and a EXC).

the xc first came out in 06.

In 05 it was called the mxc.

all 06 xc rfs' come with electric start, unless you took it off.

if it is not kicking over correctly check your valves.

if it is not idling correctly you may want to clean out your carb and make sure the pilot jet is not clogged and drain the bowl.

then take the seat off and look for a battery, because if you have a new xc 4stroke you should have a happy button. :thumbsup:

Yes the 06 450XC is a hybrid between SX & EXC but it has Estart!

Yes it replaces the 05 450MXC but is quite a bit different, MXC was the small bore, long stroke engine with close ratio trans. The XC is the big bore short stroke engine like an SX but does not have the big (41mm) carb, light magneto & Ti valves of the SX.

As for Ti valves, your better off without them, they are great for the MX racer but they are high maintence and major money

if it is not idling correctly you may want to clean out your carb and make sure the pilot jet is not clogged and drain the bowl.

This is common even if you find on dirt in the 17mm drain bolt. Look through the center of the jet at the light and you should see a hole. I used compressed air only and it didn't clear the jet. I then used a SS wire from a wire brush and followed up with compressed air. The jet hole appeared after that. Symptoms of a clogged pilot jet include constant cranking at idle without starting, hesitation or popping at low RPMs, and a rough idle before it quits.

I have the original documentation from KTM which says it is a 450 xc and date of manufacture was in nov 2004 and it was sold as a 05' model. There is no battery and no happy button as from the factory. It has the sx bore and stroke and the exc box.

the xc first came out in 06.

In 05 it was called the mxc.

all 06 xc rfs' come with electric start, unless you took it off.

Perhaps South Africa has different bikes offered than we do.

that is very strange. the 450xc was introduced in 06 by KTM world wide. As far as I know.

If it is an 05, what color is the frame and forks?

Does it have high speed and low speed compression on the shock?

How about fork preload adjuster?

Is it a short stroke or long stroke motor? (you said short which sounds like a xc)

How is the gear spacing, close, wide or hybrid?(you said exc, wide ratio, which does not sound like an xc)

maybe they released them a year early in Europe and South Africa....but I would be surprised.

kind of curious what the hell you got there, not debating, just curious.

have a pic?

oh ya, did you buy it brand new?

maybe someone took an SX and added 5th and 6th, or even played with gear ratios.

pretty common.

It sounds like an SX with some tranny mods to me.

Nice bike btw.