Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse- auto or semi auto?

What exactly does it do? (I've searched the threads and can't figure it out :ride: )

Does it turn you bike into something like the old trail 90's so you don't need a clutch lever but you do need to still shift with your foot?

Or, does it make you bike have an automatic transmission and you don't have to do anything but hit the gas?

And, what does it mean you can still override it? Do you just start clutching and shifting gears just like normal?

And the Perch, what does it do? It says it allows you to adjust it at the handle bars does that mean make your clutch tighter or looser like adjusting a brake cable on a bicycle?

What about a heavier rider? Will it stall/overheat if I weigh a lot?

Is TT the best buy?

Mainly do trail riding. I want to get one this weekend so any help would be greatly appreciated. (i even searched the TT product reviews and came up empty handed. I know it used to be there but.... :thumbsup: )

It simply replaces the pressure plate with a new one that works on Centrifugal force. You still shift, but no clutch required. You can set the engagement point(stall speed) by adjusting the springs.

I've got about 200 hours on mine and nary a problem. Checked if a few weeks ago and it still looks like new.

You can keep the clutch, but I took mine off and added a rear hand brake instead. It really shines on tough hill climbs. If you ever get stuck and have to bulldog you bike up the last poart of a hill, that rear handbrake is sweet.

Saved me from having to go back down a couple of times.

In the open stuff, A clutch is still better, IMO, but the auto saves my C-rider butt a lot of effort in the nasty stuff! :thumbsup:

How would one 'feather' the clutch if it is disengaged?

Or is that no longer necessary b/c of the auto clutch?

Riding with a Rekluse clutch is quite natural IMHO. You still shift like normal and you CAN still clutch if you choose to, but it's not required. Just pick a gear and go. If you're in the right gear, for off-road riding, there is little need to clutch unless you want to roost a berm or something alone those lines. When I"m seriously focused on speed, I never touch the clutch using the Rekluse.

For example, if you're going through a nasty rock garden and say you get hung up on an obsticle. You don't have to pull in the clutch to keep the bike from dying. Just pick the proper gear, use your body to manipulate the bike and by modulating the throttle to get the bike through.

My favorite thing about the clutch is brake slides. For example, if you're going down a steep hill on tight single track where you need to snake between say two rocks that are lined up (there is no straight line between them) you can step the backend out with a quick brake slide, blip throttle, quick brake slide again and roll the throttle in. Essentially it gives you more freedom to orient the bike via the back brake in tight terrain without having to feather the clutch.

Honestly, having ridden for over 25 years with a clutch, I love the Rekluse and don't see myself riding without one. The positives far outweigh the negatives and the product has proved itself to be extremely durable as well.

Thanks for the input. What about the Perch, can I still clutch without it, whats the advantage, and should I buy the cover that allows me more oil? Thanks

Rekluse provides a thicker clutch cover gasket with the clutch. If you're using the stock cover, you have to use it in order to get the necessary clearance.

The thing to do, however, is replace the stock clutch cover. It is terribly fragile and you will punch a hole in it sooner or later. Hopefully, you will know when that happens, but you may not, until it's too late. You should grind off the inside cleat on your brake pedal, as it likes to zero in on the clutch cover.

The Rekluse cover is billet aluminum, provides for the necessary clearance, and much, much stronger. It's pretty pricey, but probably worth it.

Thanks for the input. What about the Perch, can I still clutch without it, whats the advantage, and should I buy the cover that allows me more oil? Thanks

The perch adjuster allows you to externally adjust the engagement of the clutch. If you feel the bike lurching, you can loosen the engagement. If the clutch is slipping to much, you can tighten it.

Don't get the impression that the clutch needs lot of adjusting. If you install it right from square one, making sure your tollerances are spot on, you'll only need to adjust every 40-50 hours of use.

The clutch cover isn't a bad idea, but not necessarily required. I personally don't run one. If you have the bux, they are stronger and they do give you a little more oil volume. Again, no real downside, save the damaged to your wallet.