Sign in to follow this  

XC or XC-W?

I will purchasing either a 200 or 250 soon but am confused on wich type to get, xc or xc-w. I have talked to two different salesman and gotten two different answers. :thumbsup: Slow, tight single track is what I want it for. I'm 5'10 and 165lbs.

Thanks in advance

Tiger

I will purchasing either a 200 or 250 soon but am confused on wich type to get, xc or xc-w. I have talked to two different salesman and gotten two different answers. :thumbsup: Slow, tight single track is what I want it for. I'm 5'10 and 165lbs.

Thanks in advance

Tiger

I bought a 300 xc and couldn't be happier.We ride a lot of tight stuff and also wide open stuff too.I heard that 1st gear is too low on the xc-w.Hope this helps.

I have a 300 xcw and love it, The diffrence is , first is a little lower and 5th is higher .

I like mine because in the really tight technical stuff you have a little lower gear and when you get on a long section of road you can roll it on in 5th , works well for me.

How old are you?

Are you going to race?

Where do you ride?

I just bought a 200SX, which is similar to the XC. I've only ridden it once, but I'm liking it.

With the 200XC-W, you get a lower 1st & 2nd same 3rd,4th,5th, taller 6th.

KTM shows the XC for on the gas racing and the XC-W for more casual riding.

KTM shows the XC for on the gas racing and the XC-W for more casual riding.

Not quite! They sell the XC for hare scramble racing and the W for enduro riding.

The W is the same as the EXC which has won how many national enduros? Where you guys get the idea it is a trail bike is beyond me.

The suspension is better... errrrr more adjustable on the XC vs the XC-W. The W has the wide ratio tranny. I prefer the XC myself.

Take a look on the showroom floors... the XC's are hard to find and the W's are readily available.

Depending on what you intend to do either bike could suit you well.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

I'm looking at the 300, what exactly is the difference in suspension? Do the bikes not use the same forks and springs?

No! The XC has stiffer springs then the W along with an adjustable triple clamp. As I said, it is aimed at higher speed courses like a gncc.

The shock also has high and low speed adjusters on the XC.

The engine is the same in both bikes.

Don't let all that fool you, several of the local AA riders are riding W's with just the springs changed and no revalving. The bikes are really good right out of the box.

I'm leaning towards the W myself. I've only heard one guy that didn't like the tranny. Said it was too wide. If it's just a spring issue in the forks, that doesn't bother me. It does sound like the rear shock is different though. At my level though I doubt that's anything to worry about.

Anyone know if the '07 bikes come with clamps for oversized bars stock?

on my 06, at first I felt the gearing was too wide so I upped the rear sprocket to a 51, now it works great for me.

I've ridden an exc back to back with my xc for comarison. The exc first gear is way to low, I dont know where you would possibly need a gear that low. I almost never used first gear on my xc, only when I crashed on a hill or something like that. Where you would notice more of a difference is in top speed. My 200xc hit top speed pretty quickly in the open, which was fine with me because I rarely ride anything you can even use 4th gear on. I wouldn't worry about the suspension, both bikes can be made to work the same. Simply put, if you ride track or like to right tight stuff fast, get the xc, if you like more wide open stuff or your gonna be crawling at 2 mph get the xcw.

I've ridden an exc back to back with my xc for comarison. The exc first gear is way to low, I dont know where you would possibly need a gear that low. I almost never used first gear on my xc, only when I crashed on a hill or something like that. Where you would notice more of a difference is in top speed. My 200xc hit top speed pretty quickly in the open, which was fine with me because I rarely ride anything you can even use 4th gear on. I wouldn't worry about the suspension, both bikes can be made to work the same. Simply put, if you ride track or like to ride tight stuff fast, get the xc, if you like more wide open stuff or your gonna be crawling at 2 mph get the xcw.

The EXC/XC-W tranny is awesome for racing tight, tight single track. But both are, really. The W is just more versatile, IMO. Gives you trials gear down low and a decent road gear up top. Most guys spend most of their time in 2nd or 3rd in the woods anyway so it's somewhat moot for most of the riding.

Not quite! They sell the XC for hare scramble racing and the W for enduro riding.

The W is the same as the EXC which has won how many national enduros? Where you guys get the idea it is a trail bike is beyond me.

Can you believe it came from the KTM marketing people . . . not very bright of them. :thumbsup:

I will purchasing either a 200 or 250 soon but am confused on wich type to get, xc or xc-w. I have talked to two different salesman and gotten two different answers. :ride: Slow, tight single track is what I want it for. I'm 5'10 and 165lbs.

Thanks in advance

Tiger

I race hare scrambles and I'm about the same size as you....5'10'', 160, and I have a 200EXC, which is very close to the XC-W. I've ridden a couple 125s with close ratios and really feel indifferent about the tranny in tight stuff. I ride 90% singletrack, and about half of it is what most people consider tight (first and second gear stuff through saplings and small pines). I would honestly like a tranny with wider ratios than the one in my EXC. I have stock 14/48 gearing, and I actually find first gear fairly useful for tight stuff up hills, and huge logs (12 inch diameter or more). In the tight stuff I don't feel like I'm at any disadvantage, because the 200s have power pretty much everywhere, and I have a good clutch hand from my 85 days. Then when the track opens up I pull away from the 125s with close ratio trannys. It seems to me that the gears you use the most (3rd, 4th, 5th) are fairly close to the ratios in the XC, and that you have a more versatile 1st, 2nd, and 6th gear. Just my opinion. :applause::thumbsup:

on my 06, at first I felt the gearing was too wide so I upped the rear sprocket to a 51, now it works great for me.

Do you racec at all? where at and what type?

Then when the track opens up I pull away from the 125s with close ratio trannys. It seems to me that the gears you use the most (3rd, 4th, 5th) are fairly close to the ratios in the XC, and that you have a more versatile 1st, 2nd, and 6th gear. Just my opinion. :ride::thumbsup:

Skin, you right about the gearing; the close ratio trannied bikes get blown away on open straights. Shoot, my XC-W gets into 6th quickly. I could almost use a higher 6th, but it's good enough.

. . . and like you said, the middle gears are close ratio (2nd thru 5th very close to XC), to me the best of both worlds. :applause:

I always heard those 200 EXC's were for old guys, who only trail ride.

:thumbsup:

I always heard those 200 EXC's were for old guys, who only trail ride.

:ride:

Wa wa wa wa.:-)))

I've ridden with some of those "old guys" and their 200 EXC's in the woods. They may as well have been MX'ing in the woods the way they were berm-shoting off everything; rocks, ruts, creek beds, trees . . . whoa Nellie :thumbsup: