Sign in to follow this  

The Death of Speed Wobble

Have known about this for a long time,since i used to ride an RD350 and a 900F on the street back in the 80's.I was complaining about it (especially the 900F-a real waggler)to a famous super bike racer here in S.A.All he said to me was,"open your left hand,it will not happen".I tried it and it worked,if your hand is open you can not respond to the first oscillation caused by your right hand(in conjunction with your brain).Best part is that you dont have to concentrate or practise-just open your left hand.After that i could crank the 900 right up to 200kmh straight and steady-even with those spagetti forks.

When riding the Hatfield McCoy trails last weekend our group got lost and ended up riding 26 miles back to the trailhead on Route 52. I sure could have used this information a week ago.

You come up with alot of DRZ wobble stuff man. I think your bike has problems or something. I have a DRZ400S and it is just as stable as any of the other dual sports I have owned.

I've noticed wobbles at 65 to 70 on a DR200. It seems like it only happens when I make SUDDEN counter steering inputs. If I concentrate on being smooth on the controls, it doesn't happen.

I personally prefer to use counter steering at speeds over 50 or so because it seems to take less effort than leaning the bike.

Wind gusts/buffetting: I like this technique - Only make control inputs based on what you see, not based on what you feel. When you're riding in the wind or close to a big truck, you usually feel a lot of buffetting. Let the bike wander a little. When you SEE that your lane position isn't what you want it to be, make a correction to get it back to where you want it. Even on my little bike, I rarely make control inputs because of the wind.

You come up with alot of DRZ wobble stuff man. I think your bike has problems or something. I have a DRZ400S and it is just as stable as any of the other dual sports I have owned.

Thanks for the input. And I apologize if I sounded like I was picking on the DRZ, because I'm not. :thumbsup: I love my DRZ. I had already checked everything for problems and my DRZ (new, 06) had none yet I was still getting the wobbles at high speed. That is, until I discovered that I could completely eliminate wobble by changing how I rode. I, too, believe that the DRZ is just as stable as any other dual sport and I use the DRZ only because it is an example that I am familiar with. I would guess that any dual sport with high clearance and low rake may have a similar "problem" and may benefit from an awareness that wobble is caused by the rider (counter steering inputs) and can be avoided by the rider (apparently in more ways than one).

No problem at all man. How far are you from bakersfield? I ride a bunch and wouldnt mind swinging by your neck of the woods if you want to compare setups if I am within a few hours ride of you.

I have only had one high speed wobble on pavement in my life and that was on a drag bike with a M/C drag slick with vary low air pressure. My DRZ and my KTM have no high speed wobble even with none DOT tires.

If you have a high speed wobble (on pavement) you either have tire problems are your steering neck are swing-arm is too loose. My DRZ steering neck was too loose from the get go.

I learned a lot of wobble problem from the 80's when I worked at a Honda shop and fixed these problems on CB750/900/1100F. My Turbo CB900F never wobbled a day in it's life.