Sign in to follow this  

New backyard mini track

Well....I couldn't get any "free" dirt in time to rebuild my backyard track this past weekend. I ended up getting 20 cu yards of dirt delivered and had a bobcat for the weekend. This all started when I bought a swingset/playset 4 weeks ago and realized that the backyard had to be re-engineered to make it work. After a lot of brush clearing, dirt moving, ground leveling, and jump building, we have a really cool park-like area where the swing set is......and a kickass little mini track.

Luckily, my neighbor is a MX addict. He was out there the whole weekend helping drive the bobcat and testing out the jumps on his new 2 stroke yz 250. Here are some pics:

This is the little "triple" takeoff that we put in so we have a jump for the big bikes when we get the urge.....It's about 30'. It took my 7 yr old son about 10 mins to clear it. So much for the big bike theory. The playset is in the background:

Tripletakeoff1.JPG

Here is the landing (on the left is a little takeoff to jump across the backside):

triplelanding1.JPG

From the left side of the landing....

tripleback1.JPG

my son hitting a new table:

tabletakeoff1.JPG

same table from the front...son hot dogging for the camera:

Tableonefooter1.JPG

My son hitting the triple....7 yr old on a klx 110

Matttriple1.JPG

Double looking out to a big wide sweeper around the trees:

double1.JPG

Hitting the double:

Mattdouble1.JPG

Same double doing a no-footer:

doublenofooter1.JPG

thats pretty cool. i've got a track myself but i've always said if i didn't a lot of room i'd have to at least build myself a pit bike track. so did you use up all 20 yards of dirt faster than you thought you would? it always amazes me how much dirt you actually need to build one good jump.

Yea, the dirt went fast. I'll probably get another 10 cu yards in Sept and make the jumps a little longer.

He's def ready for a 65.....problem is noise. I might get him one to ride for the days we hit our local track....but for the backyard, the 110 doesn't bother the nieghbors.

Get him a 65 pronto! Keep the silencer packed and pick the time of day to ride, for short intravels and let er' rip!

man he is fast he is gonna be awsome when he gets into an 85 hell be the next Nico Izzi give my complements to your son!

sweet shit man. i got lucky and found a ton of free dirt at a industrial construction site beside my work. the foreman told me to find a dump truck and come talk to him. luckily my friend drives one for work, so this saturday i'll be working on a track in my backyard. hopefully have all the dirt you could hope for. the only thing that sucks is my yard is only about 80'x80', so it's going to be tight. my buddy is going to drive the bobcat, and build the track, and also owns a tree company and is going to remove any trees or branches i need go to make more room. i can't wait. i've got a klx110 also, with bars on their way. i'm trying to build a pit bike/bmx track to work out on during the week.

noise is my biggest concern also, that's why i haven't looked into an aftermarket exhuast for the kx. i can ride that thing any time of day with stock pipes and not bother anyone.

i have something like this in mind, but scaled down to fit my yard.

rnd8.jpg

sweet shit man. i got lucky and found a ton of free dirt at a industrial construction site beside my work. the foreman told me to find a dump truck and come talk to him. luckily my friend drives one for work, so this saturday i'll be working on a track in my backyard. hopefully have all the dirt you could hope for. the only thing that sucks is my yard is only about 80'x80', so it's going to be tight. my buddy is going to drive the bobcat, and build the track, and also owns a tree company and is going to remove any trees or branches i need go to make more room. i can't wait. i've got a klx110 also, with bars on their way. i'm trying to build a pit bike/bmx track to work out on during the week.

noise is my biggest concern also, that's why i haven't looked into an aftermarket exhuast for the kx. i can ride that thing any time of day with stock pipes and not bother anyone.

i have something like this in mind, but scaled down to fit my yard.

rnd8.jpg

Yea...the 110 is a good quiet bike for the backyard. I have 22 nieghbors within 200' of my property. My house is in a development, but it's on the outer edge. I was able to purchase an additional lot behind my house, which is where the track is now. Most of my neighbors don't know there is a track back there......My son has been riding out there since he's been 5 (2 yrs) and my 6 yr old daughter has been riding her silent little kazuma quad back there for the past year. I plan on doing suspension work on the 110 as the jumps get bigger. There's no way we could get away riding a 65 back there.

Also, if you have access to plenty of dirt, get as much as you can haul away. 1 small dumptruck holds about 8 - 10 cu yards of dirt. That will make probably 1 or 2 mini sized doubles. I had some extra dirt leftover from my builder....probably another 10 cu yards and I ended up with 5 small jumps (about 30 cu yards total).

That track looks awesome.....as my son get better, I'll make the jumps a little longer and steeper....good luck! we had a lot of fun building it.

the "little" triple looks like a double 2 me.

It's def a triple...the triple landing is about 30' from the lip...This is not a full sized track for big bikes, so everything is to scale for a mini.

Nice looking mini track. Your son looks pretty good. I wonder how good he'll be when he gets an 85...

Yea...the 110 is a good quiet bike for the backyard. I have 22 nieghbors within 200' of my property. My house is in a development, but it's on the outer edge. I was able to purchase an additional lot behind my house, which is where the track is now. Most of my neighbors don't know there is a track back there......My son has been riding out there since he's been 5 (2 yrs) and my 6 yr old daughter has been riding her silent little kazuma quad back there for the past year. I plan on doing suspension work on the 110 as the jumps get bigger. There's no way we could get away riding a 65 back there.

Also, if you have access to plenty of dirt, get as much as you can haul away. 1 small dumptruck holds about 8 - 10 cu yards of dirt. That will make probably 1 or 2 mini sized doubles. I had some extra dirt leftover from my builder....probably another 10 cu yards and I ended up with 5 small jumps (about 30 cu yards total).

That track looks awesome.....as my son get better, I'll make the jumps a little longer and steeper....good luck! we had a lot of fun building it.

the guy that was getting me the truck bailed on me that morning, but i've set it up to get the dirt next saturday. my buddy has access to a f-350 dump truck with the hydraulic lift, so depending on if the foreman lowers the price since it's not a full size dump truck i'm looking at 6-10 loads or so of dirt. he originally said $25 a load which is good cause it would be more than that if i had to buy it, but bad because they'd have to pay to get rid of it if they didn't have someone come get it. so we'll see how it goes. i'll post pics and vid afterwards.