Sign in to follow this  

Off road lighting helmet/battery vs Other

I am in need of a lighting setup. I have looked at trail tech helmet mounted lights as well as the stator mods. It seems to me that I can do the helmet setup with a battery and one battery will only last like an hour and a half. I can get the regulator rectifier and never run out of juice, plus my lights will be brighter and I will save like $50.

I am looking for thoughts, suggestions, or opinions on these products. Both ways I was looking at use HID lights.

Has anyone done the stator conversion? Or have the helmet lights?

In order to run off your bike, you are going to need a lighting flywheel, rewound stator, regulator rectifier, and then you'll probably want a small battery instead of a capacitor, unless you like instantaneous darkness when you shut your bike down :thumbsup:

I am used to the instant darkness, as I have been riding quads that way for years, but I have never had a stator rewound. This sounds like a project, does anyone sell a kit?

Do you think the stator would need rewound if I ran HID lights. I think they pull 13w which isn't much compaired to the normal 55w lights that people have been useing for years.

I don't know of any kits to do it yourself. Trailtech sells rewound stators. You can either send them yours and have them rewind it, or you can buy one with a core charge and send yours back to get your core back so there is no down time. In order to run a lighting flywheel, you have to have a rewound stator. This also puts wires in place so you have something to connect all the electricals to. With the flywheel and stator, you should be able to put out about 90-100 watts, so you can basically run whatever you want. The regulator/rectifier is there so you don't burn anything up.

I've got one of these except no tailight and only two HID power settings. It used to be called the predator. Works good but is made to mount on the top of a bicycle helmet. It could be mounted on a visor with the addition of two slots. PM me if you are interested as it is for sale.

Niterider Headlights