Sign in to follow this  

broken collar bone?

So i broke my collar bone in dec along with my femur, the doc wanted to do surgery to fix it then but i said no, it was the least of my concern at that time, so i decided to just let it heal, well here i am almost 9 months later and my my collar bone has re-broken in that same spot, and it was not a hard fall, as a matter of fact, it was an wasy fall, on the right side of my body, but it broke my left collar bone. So i am thinking that the collar bone was not ever properly healed, now i am wondering if i should go and have it fixed or just try to let it heal again, i dont want to be in this position 6 months down the road again, but then again i dont want any more doctors bills, i have enough already, what advice can you give me dr mark?

i would do it nothing wrong with a little titanium in your body and my buddies is an A rider and he took a sick digger and some how only broke his collor bone and he had a plate put on it, its just better off

It didn't break in the same spot. It never really healed in the first place. It needs a precontoured locked titanium Accumed plate and a bone graft from the hip.

After that is done, and healed you can return to your old life. We have done dozens of them and have been uniformly satisfied with the results.

The cases in which cadaver bone was used didn 't heal and they required a second operation. That's scarier.

i always see pros like stewart break their collar bones, have them plated, and hey are riding in like 3 weeks, what is that all about? are they jus pushing it or do they just get the best care possible.

I agree with surgery. I had a crash and broke both collar bones at the same time. My right one was shattered and the ER docs said it would not require surgery. After seeing the x-ray I thought they were fookin looney. I got a second opinion and the next day it was plated and wired. I could drive by the end of the week and had it not been for my other side taking so long to heal, could have EASILY ridden in 3-4 weeks.

Being able to ride without pain and being safely healed are two different things. Stewart might be partially healed after a few weeks but it is not smart for him to ride untill the bone is fully healed.

i have always wondered how some of those guys come back from injury so fast, kevin windham seems like he is the only one who takes his time coming back.

I have had a signifigant number of professional athletes riding again after only ten days. These guys really push the envelope. They know that it would be better to wait a few more weeks, but they think its worth the risk.

Guys with an ordinary day job really don't have to take such a risk.

I had mine broken April 15 and 3 months later it hadn't healed and had actually stopped growing and started to die...

I had a plate, screws and a piece taken from my hip what will be a month tomorrow by Dr. Mark.

The hip was the most painful in the beginning but was getting around on my own in about 4-5 days. Now the hip really doesn't bother me but you do notice it a bit while riding the bike or doing stairs as I do.

The collarbone on the other hand is still somewhat sore around the area of the plate and sensitive to the touch.

The muscle and flexibility in my shoulder is still very tight and I do strenghtening, stretches, heat everyday. I am taking it slow but the muscles in my shoulder, chest, neck and back are still pretty weak and I couldn't imagine being on a mx bike in my condition.

I can curl about 15 lbs 3 sets 15 times. I do about 30 girl style push ups and could do more but don't want to strain it. Lifting my arm straight our to the side is a lot better than it use to be but I can't do any weight with it. Some of the exercises I can use more weight than others.

It is only a month after surgery and I am definitely better off than I was before the surgery. Just taking my left hand and hitting my right before use to hurt my collarbone, now it does not.

If I had it to do all over again, well first of all I wouldn't have grabbed a handfull of front brake. Short of that, for me surgery was the only and best option...

Good Luck. Any questions ask, I have pictures I can share if you would like also.

Lasik, in two weeks get an X-ray and send it to me.

Your surgery, because it was an established nonunion was considerably more extensive than a fresh fracture repair. It sounds like you are doing good, however.

Certainly don't compare yourself to a professional rider who had a fresh fracture repaired. They didn't have to udergo the muscular atrophy that you did prior to the repair.

Best,

drmark

Lasik, in two weeks get an X-ray and send it to me.

Your surgery, because it was an established nonunion was considerably more extensive than a fresh fracture repair. It sounds like you are doing good, however.

Certainly don't compare yourself to a professional rider who had a fresh fracture repaired. They didn't have to udergo the muscular atrophy that you did prior to the repair.

Best,

drmark

Yea, I wasn't trying to compare to a pro rider but for the guy who broke his in dec and is still having problems I was trying to give him my experience and what it has been like after surgery. The past two days my muscles have been tighter than usual and probably because I over did it this weekend. Once the muscles relax down again I will be doing good.

cemmons32, don't sweat the hip thing. If you do end up with surgery the hip is the way to go, it is your bone afterall and not some strangers. Plus it will really only cause problems for about a week. Drugs help with that alot. Getting in and out of bed is the worse part because you can't really use your stomach as it pulls on that area. My wife was a big help helping me in and out of bed. After the first week I was able to roll to my side and push up to get out and in by myself.

Good luck in healing...

An effective bone graft has to be

osteogenic..........has the cells to make bone

osteoinductive.....has the proteins and other mediators to cause cells that

CAN make bone to do so

osteoconductive..has the structure of a scafold upon which new bone can be

layed down.

Only live bone from the patient has all three properties.

Dead person's (allograft) bone can be mildly osteoinductive and moderately osteoconductive. Since no living cells are present in allograft bone, it CANT be osteogenic.

Repairing a nonunion is a race against time. If the bone doesn't heal, ultimately the plate will break, and you get to start all over. So I do everything to get the fastest healing possible. When I repair a nonunion, I try to stack the deck in my patient's favor. That is the reason that I harvest bone from the hip, rather than take it out of a zip locked baggie.

I broke my collar bone sunday & the doc at the ER put me in an arm sling & told me to go away (basically) when I got home I looked at the x-rays & the bone is displaced one on top of the other. I don't understand how the bone can heal like this?

P.S. I have an appointment thursday with a bone doc

I broke my collar bone sunday & the doc at the ER put me in an arm sling & told me to go away (basically) when I got home I looked at the x-rays & the bone is displaced one on top of the other. I don't understand how the bone can heal like this?

P.S. I have an appointment thursday with a bone doc

Yea, you got about the same amount of attention as I got and mine never healed.

I think because of how hard I hit mine and the amount of muscle damage internally it never had a chance to even start healing.

If your bones are together, the collarbone is pretty remarkable usually and it will actually heal in that position.

Now that doesn't mean you want it to be in that position and if you have a choice I would prefer it to be in line. To get a doctor to do this without a good reason as in my case it not healing is very hard to find...

Getting it done right is another...

The ones that are overriding like that don't do so well without surgery. Besides, it is so much easier fixing a fresh fracture (no need for bone graft), I think it should be fixed in an athlete.