broken collar bone?

well my surgery is on like donkey kong, i am scheduled to be put back together the 14 of august, they are doing the bone graft and they rae plating me back together, they said there are a few different types of plates that they could put in me, he did not want to use a hook plate so we are waiting for some other one to come in, he has to call and see when he can get one, he told me that in 6 months i should come back to have it removed, do you usually take yours out dr mark? or do you just leave them in?

• 2 weeks later...

well its over, i was in and out in one day, i dont know what kind of a plate they put in, but in a year i am going to have it taken out, BUT, they said once they got in there they did not feel that the bone graft from my hip was neccesary(sp?), but man so in a way im glad because instead of just my shoulder hurting terribly, i would have a hip hurting also, but i am just wondering if it will heal as strong. I have 25 staples in this thing, it going to make one ugly scar, but, in 3 months i plan to be back riding again, hope so anyway.

Glad to hear things are going well for you. I had seven screws and "bone paste" used to put me back together. It's been about two years and no problems even with a minor get off or two riding the quads.

Dr. Mark - How does "bone paste" hold up?

Later,

Philip

The bone paste is good in fresh fractures. For nonunions or delayed unions, you have to throw everything in. So live bone graft from the hip works better.

But if the fracture is all ready healed, the living graft, or dead bone paste is already incorporated and you are in the clear.

im curious as to what bone paste is?

What I found in a quick search.

Adhesives used to fix prosthetic devices to bones and to cement bone to bone in difficult fractures. Synthetic resins are commonly used as cements. A mixture of monocalcium phosphate, monohydrate, alpha-tricalcium phosphate, and calcium carbonate with a sodium phosphate solution is also a useful bone paste.

Whats good about bone paste is that you can push it into holes in the bone.

Unfortunately it is just a scafold for new living bone to grow into.

When the going gets tough there is no substitute for a guy's own living bone cells.

For that reason when I repair a nonunion or a delayed union I use only the real thing, while for fresh fractures it will suffice.