does anyone use a REKLUSE in motard riding?

One of our faster riders has one in his bike. We swapped off for a while and I sort of liked it. Mostly I liked it but I would need to get used to the left lever being the rear brake instead of the clutch. At least that's how he set up his bike.

The clutch itself worked fine and he's doing really well with it so it'll stand the pounding fer sure.

Our german distributor has a guy that makes a thingy for our left-hand brake kit that pulls in the clutch when you pull in the left-hand rear brake (it's fully adjustable so you can adjust how much clutch slip you get with your rear braking). I've tried it on a dirt bike in the dirt and there really isn't any advantage to it in the dirt. The germans swear by it for supermotard and are apparently selling a lot of them. We've never really gone after the supermotard market here because there's no supermotard scene here in Boise and none of us have a supermotard bike. I intend to own something and come up with a place to practice by next spring.

If anyone out there is using the z-Start for supermotard and wants to try this setup out, I'll make you a sweet deal on the left-hand brake kit with this setup (and make it fully refundable if it doesn't work out for you). I'm looking for some feedback. I only have one of them.

I guy from the Seattle area won a northwest series championship using the z-Start a couple years back and then retired from racing. I know there are a some guys racing in some of the European circuits as well with the z-Start.

If you're interested email to al at rekluse dot com.

Youngwerth. Jump on the washington racing forum on supermotojunkie. I think our SMUSA KTM test bikes use a Rekluse (2 of the 3 testers in fact) Look for cyclebuy, motarded, markr, norm908, or ronwest99.

I am sure you can find someone to test...I will send them to this thread.

I have a Rekluse in my SM450R husky that I ride on the street. I installed the Rekluse just for something different. It actually works pretty good and I get the holeshot with 2nd gear starts at every stoplight. I can also usually carry a gear higher than usual with the autoclutch, since it will slip a bit till the revs pick up. Makes a fun bike even more fun!

It seems like the few people that have them like them "according to their buddy". Here's a couple questions:

1 does it heat up the motor oil any more

2 if properly addjusted does it where the clutch plates any faster (it must)

3 are there any disadvantages other than cost

4 does it make it any harder to learn how to "back it in" or any thing else with out a clutch

Thanks!!

I have one on my WR450 which I use for dual sport and trail riding.

I have not motard raced it. With it adjusted properly it does not slip the

clutch any more than you would by operating the lever manually.

It may actually slip it a bit less since it is consistantly controled.

If you are running the motor hard in too high a gear you might get

more heat and wear but again not more than you would if you were

feathering the clutch by hand in too tall a gear.

The Rekluse retains the clutch lever which works kind of like an override -

pull in the lever and it disengages like a normal clutch. This is a nice feature

but can get you in trouble if you aren't paying attention. If you pull in the lever

to make a couple of down shifts and allow the RPMs to drop too low when you

let the lever back out it will not re-engage but will freewheel. All you have to

do to re-engage it is blip the throttle to pick up the revs but it can be a little

hairy when you aren't expecting it like catching a false neutral in the middle of

a corner. When I an riding the twisty pavement at a fast pace I have to

keep reminding myself not to pull in the lever.

This can also be a problem trail riding on a steep downhill. When the revs drop

near idle you no longer have any compression braking - it will just freewheel.

Does the override take as much effort to pull as your clutch lever does now? Just curious because I've seen some people use the hot-start lever for the override and I can tell you there is no way I'd be able to do that with my normal clutch effort.

Grant

I use a Rekluse for Trail and Supermoto riding, mine has been fitted for the last 18months, with no effect on clutch life so far...oil changes are the same intervals as normal !

My set up is the full monty with not only the back brake up on the left bar, the foot brake is retained as well, and I have a 2 finger override for the clutch as well... (this is because we use my bike to Demo the product as I am a UK dealer for them... ? )

the effort to pull this is very little, I can pull the clutch in at ANY RPM to pop the front up, pull wheelies, whatever.....

I use a Rekluse for Trail and Supermoto riding, mine has been fitted for the last 18months, with no effect on clutch life so far...oil changes are the same intervals as normal !

My set up is the full monty with not only the back brake up on the left bar, the foot brake is retained as well, and I have a 2 finger override for the clutch as well... (this is because we use my bike to Demo the product as I am a UK dealer for them... ? )

the effort to pull this is very little, I can pull the clutch in at ANY RPM to pop the front up, pull wheelies, whatever.....

Any pictures? How 'bout a pic of the dual levers? i take it that dual levers is the way you have it set up. This sounds like a primo set-up to me.

Anybody have any ideas how to make it work on my KTM, which has hydraulic clutch??

??Anybody know of a smaller hydraulic level configuration i could use as the two finger "override" on clutch, and convert the current level over to rear brake??

Anybody have a better idea?

Al,

We have a work party/practice day at McMinnville coming up on August 13th. It would be a perfect day to do some testing. We could put it on my 2005 450 SMR.

I will email you about it.

Bob R

CycleBuy.com

Welcome to the site Bob :ride:

I will be coming down with the Berg, as well the Club's 450 SMR Demo bike which has the rekluse........

Josh will be riding the demo bike but it would be open for anyone else who wants it.......I'd buy one just to get a jump on you into turn one..... ?

Welcome to the site Bob :ride:

I will be coming down with the Berg, as well the Club's 450 SMR Demo bike which has the rekluse........

Josh will be riding the demo bike but it would be open for anyone else who wants it.......I'd buy one just to get a jump on you into turn one..... ?

McMinnville is a long drive away from me, here in S. Oregon. So if i go i'll be riding my VFR - in hopes of taking turns on the demo bike(s).

Any feedback?