Sign in to follow this  

WR250F Break-In Procedure and Warranty

The manual has the procedure but anyone else have any other recommendations? Also the dealership offered me a 2 year warranty with included maintenance for $1200 ... do you think that's a good deal. I'm technical but not much of a mechanic but I can figure things out easily. Should I just do everything myself?

The manual has the procedure but anyone else have any other recommendations? Also the dealership offered me a 2 year warranty with included maintenance for $1200 ... do you think that's a good deal. I'm technical but not much of a mechanic but I can figure things out easily. Should I just do everything myself?

Do a search on break in methods. There are basically 2 school of thinking, one is baby it, the other is break it in hard to set the rings - I chose the hard break in method, with an initial 15 minutes of babying it... :ride:

As for maintenance, do it yourself - $1200 is a whole lot of oil changes that you can do yourself easily. Not to mention hauling your bike back & forth to the dealer everytime you want to change your oil & air filter. Greasing the bearings is more complicated but not hard to do, they need some of your time and effort. Read the manual, it shows you how to service practically everything. If you have questions, you have other TTers to ask for advice. If you don't understand the manual, my web page (see signature below) has a lot of instructions on how to do a lot of the things that you'll need to do for maintenance... :thumbsup:

Ride it hard. Don't rev high, but short shift and use max throttle. You're trying to get as much cylinder pressure on the rings as possible to make the rings seat.

After about an hour of this, then ride it any way you want.

Also, the $1200 is better spent on a great set of tools.

Not sure if you can still get that warranty or not, but $1200 is extremely high. I just got an '06 WR250F OTD for $5300 plus a 2 yr warranty for another $560!

Finance guy told me the warranty was $1100 and that he would give it to me for their cost of $660, yet i got him down another $100.

I used a good comparison of value..... Even though it's apples to oranges, I told him that I got my longer more comprehensive warranty for a $35000 vehicle for less than 5% of the cost and he wanted about 10% of what this vehicle cost. He didn't know what to say and asked me what I thought was fair.

I have a 3 year warranty on my '06 WR250F and I'm about to take my first dip into it.

My clutch is terrible, for want of a better word. I've done a bit of searching here and it seems most of the latest Yamaha's have a grabby clutch.

I can rarely find neutral when the bike is running, and as you can imagine, it becomes a huge issue when I'm riding hills and what not.

Now, it's apparently a simple fix with spacers and what not. But screw doing all that when I can ride it to the shop and demand they fix it under warranty. Now, they do nothing but talk their warranty up, saying it's the best in Australia. We shall see this week.

As for the break in, I rode it relatively hard for the first 100km and replaced the oil and oil filter every 100km or so. I now have 350KM on the clock and I've done the air filter once and oil twice.

The dealership suggested I break it in easy do the oil and air filter at the 500km mark and then bring it in for a service at the 1000km mark...I'm guessing they like their customers spending money on repairs...

Just ride it like you normally would. You can run it wide-open but only for 2-3 seconds. Dont scream the engine too much, but dont lug it all the time either. Like I said, just ride it.

I would pass on the warranty. $1200 is a lot of money.