Sign in to follow this  

Xr80 swingarm questions please help, i need to powdercoat!

Im all set to powdercoat my swing arm on the Xr80 but need to get parts 5,5,6 out of the pivot point on the swingarm as they are plastic and will melt in the oven.

http://images.powersportsnetwork.com/fiche/images/Honda/1988/Motorcycles/3388_SWINGARM.gif

Please help, i need to get them out without wrecking them as i plan to reuse them.

Just buy new ones. They are really hard to get out without tearing them up. Now is a good time to order brass replacements instead of the factory nylon. Engines only (xr100.com) has got them, even though they are expensive I feel they are worth it.

I would like to replace them, but this bike is just a project to restore and then sell so i dont really want to spend too much on it. Ive already spent alot.

I might cover the plastic ends with tin foil and coat it, throw it in the oven and hope the plastic doesnt melt?

Do you think it would withstand 300 degrees for 10 mins?

If its definatly going to melt then i will just end up spray painting it.

Thanks for your help.

If costs are a major concern buy the nylon bushings, they are not too expensive. Or use a high quality industrial spray paint to keep costs down.

According to Yamaha of Troy's website, the stock bushings cost $12. You make the choice.

Thanks guys, $12 isnt alot so i might try to get some new ones. Only thing is i live in the UK so ordering online would be much easier.