Sign in to follow this  

2006 TE250 maintenance ideas...

TE250 maintenance ideas... Besides the normal basic stuff, anything else I should do? So far Sealing up the exhaust system and greasing the steering & linkage are all I can think of. Possibly putting an ignition switch on... Anything else?

I would really like input since I now have time. And what do I seal the exhaust up with?

Oh yeah - I am off crutches now!!! :thumbsup::ride::applause:

I have about a week before full time work, still can't ride for a while, but can putter around in the garage.

I don't think you need to seal up the pipe, it is fabricated much superior to the "other" brand in that Husky has the head pipe slip over AND inside the exhaust manifold! Very nicly built leak free design. Pretty close to a snivel free bike!

You should get yourself a grease gun to do the fitting on the rear suspention linkage.

Replace all radiator hoses and clamps with aftermarket lines. Did the ladies ride today with my dirt bike club at Canfield in CDA, Idaho. The top jumper line between the 2 radiators behind the tank blew up. I was just sitting there waiting for the rest of the group and KAA-POWW. Sounded like a tire exploded. Steam/fluid blew up into my face and over my body. Luckily I had my goggles still on and a full chest protector. No damage to me but I was pissed because we were only half way threw the ride. The hose opened to a 4" split with a little bubble which was a result from a faulty line. The guys helped me with a hose clamp(had that funky type clamp not reusable) and there was just enough good line left to reconnect. It's tight but worked for another 12 miles. This was the 2nd annual Dusty Cleavage ride and I got more than that. :ride: Hope to have photos from one of the guys to post soon. Now just have to find out who makes the best aftermarket lines for the Husky's.

Good to hear your healing up great. :thumbsup:

I will check out the radiator lines, sounds like you had fun though!

Anyone else have any maintenance ideas? I keep reading in the other areas of TT... really glad I bought a Husky.

I do have another question - can anyone tell me how many hours &/or miles a typical dirt bike goes without rebuilding? I know a XR400 type bike will last forever - but I mean a relatively modern 4st. I am not sure where else to ask the other forums are really sensitive about things like that.

That's a hard one to answer... Here's a SWAG: Old-tech bike (like an XR650L) - 10,000 miles between top end jobs. 250F/450F bikes (Like the TE250) 5000 miles between top end jobs. The valves could be the wild card on a 250F, but if it's a 2006, you're better off.

Ok... have only been in bikes a few years now... never have done the steering stem so here is a question - what is a good way to remove and replace this nut right here:

DSC_0369Medium.jpg

I have a bunch of bikes that need this maintenance. I did find a motion pro wrench / spanner for a Honda at one bike shop, wrong size and $35. So

-hit it with a center punch?

-continue looking for better spanner?

How do you guys do it?

Old style rear shock preload spanner ,have fun its a pain to replace the bearings,take your time adj the tension after,its a fine line between too tight and loose.

After you take the bars off and the tripple clamp, just use a screwdriver and a dead blow hammer is what I do. It is not that tight and should only be tight enough so there is no free play. Once it moves some put some pressure under the front fender and spin it by hand. No need for a tool for that thing.

The big trick is the lower bearing that is the culprit. Go ahead and order the bottom seal as you will probably destroy it. Top and bottom I think are the same. Getting the bearing off of the tripple clamp is easier the more you do them. I use a dremel with a cut off tool. I go ahead and tear the outer part of the bearing off and then use the dremel to cut the piece stuck on the steering head being careful not to go too deep into the shaft. Once you get a pretty good cut into it I take a chisel and end up cracking the bearing. Then it slides right off. It sounds a lot worse than it is. Clean everything up good spray some light oil like WD-40, then while the wife is sleeping slip it into the freezer for a while (longer the better) to shrink the steering head shaft. Pack that lower bearing with a ton of waterproof grease. Then slide the new one on it. BTW the brown fber dremel cut offs are the only ones that will cut it, the skinny little ones never work. Have Fun.

Got a few PMs so thought I would post some info regarding rear suspension.

Among other things, remove brake from swing arm, note one is a sheet metal screw and another is a bolt

DSC_0386Medium.jpg

Support brake

DSC_0387Medium.jpg

Remove brake pedal

DSC_0400Medium.jpg

Remove cover, kickstand, and roller from left side

DSC_0401Medium.jpg

Pic says it all

DSC_0391Medium.jpg

Glad I did the suspension that bolt was a bit dry

DSC_0395Medium.jpg

DSC_0408Medium.jpg

All clean, bolt on left needs washer (not shown).

DSC_0414Medium.jpg

There is a bushing with shoulder in swing arm, then washer, then nut all under the plastic covers

DSC_0412Medium.jpg

Sorry if it is too basic but thought I would throw it out there

Almost forgot - the grease fittings are nice but not complete.

Also the file "2006-DOHC-Husky-parts.pdf" is different than what this TE250 had. Here is a nice feature:

DSC_0405Medium.jpg

Great pictures! Thanks for drawing my attention to this. Still haven't done my linkage yet but now I REALLY have no excuse!