Sign in to follow this  

04 kx 250f... IS IT A GOOD BIKE?

I'm thinking about buying a 04 kx250f.

But I would like to know the pros and cons of the bike.

Any help would be great--Paul :thumbsup:

get a 05, or 06 iv heard nothing but problems about the 04s...

i must agree...i havnt had any problems with my 04'. as long as you take care of it and do all the necessary work it should be just fine

We have had the 04, 05, and now 06 KXF and have not had problems with any of them. Each year they have fixed issues from the year before, like all manufacturers did. Honda has issues with their 04 also. Get the newest year you can afford. If you do get the 04 you need to make sure it has the an aftermarket water pump. If not, check the top end BEFORE you buy it.

What happened on the 04's was a overheating problem which would then cause the coating on the valves to flake, which then caused the valves to fail. Depending upon the severity of the failure, it could be a major engine problem. Especially for those that don't check their valve clearance regularly.

We put a boyeson on ours and 05 radiators which were larger and never had a problem. We bought the bike used. A friend of my son's has had it since the first of this year and he hasn't had any problems with it either.

We have had the 04, 05, and now 06 KXF and have not had problems with any of them. Each year they have fixed issues from the year before, like all manufacturers did. Honda has issues with their 04 also. Get the newest year you can afford. If you do get the 04 you need to make sure it has the an aftermarket water pump. If not, check the top end BEFORE you buy it.

What happened on the 04's was a overheating problem which would then cause the coating on the valves to flake, which then caused the valves to fail. Depending upon the severity of the failure, it could be a major engine problem. Especially for those that don't check their valve clearance regularly.

We put a boyeson on ours and 05 radiators which were larger and never had a problem. We bought the bike used. A friend of my son's has had it since the first of this year and he hasn't had any problems with it either.

Good point... I've had all three years too and the first thing I've done to these bikes is install a Boyesen water pump along with some high performance coolant. When the '04's came out everybody ran out and bought bling covers that allowed you to get to the oil filter without removing the water pump cover. When the warmer weather came all of a sudden bikes were puking valves faster than Mel Gibson could shout anti semitic remarks during a tirade. I've shimmed four valves in three years. I ride motocross about 70-80 times a year and have no problem revving the heck out of the thing. The one thing I don't do is leave it revved out for any length of time. Maybe I've been lucky but I can't help but feel that people have been having problems with these bikes because of how they take care of them (or not take care of them)...

Good point... I've had all three years too and the first thing I've done to these bikes is install a Boyesen water pump along with some high performance coolant. When the '04's came out everybody ran out and bought bling covers that allowed you to get to the oil filter without removing the water pump cover. When the warmer weather came all of a sudden bikes were puking valves faster than Mel Gibson could shout anti semitic remarks during a tirade. I've shimmed four valves in three years. I ride motocross about 70-80 times a year and have no problem revving the heck out of the thing. The one thing I don't do is leave it revved out for any length of time. Maybe I've been lucky but I can't help but feel that people have been having problems with these bikes because of how they take care of them (or not take care of them)...
I have always felt that as well, either not taking care of their bike or trying to ride it like a 125, bouncing it off the rev limiter all the way around the track. I always hear these horror stories about the new 250f's, all brands, and wonder how much of it is bike and how much is owner error or abuse. I haven't had any problems at all, but if you see my bikes you will understand I'm anal about the care of them. I traded my 2005 RM250 in on my KXF450 and the dealer who is a friend of mine and actually sold the RM new, thought he would be stuck with it for a while. He sold it in two weeks because of how good that bike looked.

Another problem with coming off of 2 strokes is downshifting before letting the revs drop sufficiently (especially landing off of jumps). I don't know for sure, but it may be possible to rev the motor beyond the rev limiter while decelerating by doing this. That would be a good way to break a valve...