Sign in to follow this  

busted drain plug bolt

yesterday i got my bike back from the shop in shitty condition. they didnt do a single thing i asked of them so i decided it would be best to drain the tranny fluid on my 04 sx85 myself. i put the socket wrench on the drain plug bolt and it just fell off. so my dealer ****ed me over and im super pissed but im sure as hell not taking it back to them to have it fixed so i need some advice on getting it out. i tried to drill it and use a screw-out to get it out but as son as i hit the bolt with a punch to start drilling the inside of the bolt moved inward :bonk:the treads are still in place but the whole "inner bolt" moved on me. do these bikes have some weird kind of bolt or did i just make this a hell of a lot worse? any advice or critisizm would be nice. thanks in advanvce for the help.

If I got this right the drill snaged the bolt and turn it in further? try a left hand drill bit with reversing drill, If your threads are bad maybe a helicoil could be installed? metal shaving could be a real issue you can coat the drill with grease and go slow, the grease holds the shavings, reapply as needed.

Is it possible to take off the cover with the plug and remove by grabbing it by the magnet (inside part)? Disregard if drain is in a center case.

Dont worry Mate , Ive been there and done that little trick too. Luckily managed to get bolt out with pliers but sounds like your bolt has gone in further than mine did. Dont worry replacement bolt was really easy to ge hold of from local dealer and pretty cheap. Try the left hand drill bit backwards.

yeah i got it figured out the bolt was a magnetic bolt and when i hit it with a punch the magnet came loose and moved farther inward. i ended up having to tap the magnet all the way into the motor :thumbsup: and get the threads of the bolt out witha screw-out. then got another pen magnet to pull the magnet from the bolt out.not a problem anymore im still pissed my dealer broke it off then stuck it back on so they didnt have to deal with it. thanks for the help though!