husaberg fe550???

Does anyone in here own a new one? 05' or 06'??? I am reading some great reviews and wanted some real riders opinions...thinking about switching....

I've had mine for about nine months now. I can't say enough good things about it. :applause: It feels like a 2 stroke 250 in handling with big four stroke power but without a lot of compression braking. Not a lot of flywheel action but it pulls cleanly down to idle. It hits hard right from idle and pulls all the way to a wahoooo... top end. :applause: I can start it in one kick in my sneakers - even cold. I've been riding offroad for a long time and this is the best offroad machine I've ever ridden. ?

I rode a friend's KTM 525 EXC and it had a lot more flywheel action but felt a lot heavier and bigger. :applause:

Maintenance is a snap. I change the oil every 3 hours and adjust the valves every 12. Doing the valves is a piece of cake. :applause: A simple screw adjuster with no shims to mess with. A one year factory warrantee on the motor really sealed the deal for me! :ride:

I have an 2003 550 in my SM Race Bike....it has the close ratio 6 speed....I have ridden a ton of SM bikes...including the 450 and 650 Berg's....The KTM's are also (prefer their gearboxes) great but when you get on a 550 Berg its like climbing into a Rolls Royce with 700 HP....the first thing I noticed is the engine is a ***** cat....when full twist, it gathers speed so seamlessly you feel the engine is actually kinda slow...thats how smooth it is....the bike has been engineered just to hook up with no fuss....buy it, its a awesome bike/engine...The next 550 I will buy will be the FI equipped bike..only because I race at huge elevation changes....BTW, my KX 500 feels like its ripping your arms out with the hard hit, but by the end of the straight stretch the Berg is RIGHT THERE... 5 laps on the KX and lookin for water as opposed to 10 laps on the Berg ready to go again !! ?

I've had mine for about nine months now. I can't say enough good things about it. ? It feels like a 2 stroke 250 in handling with big four stroke power but without a lot of compression braking.

i have about 2000 miles on my '05. it's the best 4-stroke i've ridden. much lighter feeling than a 525 or WR. i'm still more comfortable on my 300 on super-technical stuff, but normal people refuse to ride the stuff i like to ride, so i don't think it's a problem for most people, lol. i have posted a few observations at www.husaberg.org. lotsa other folks there with newer bikes too, which helped me make my decision.

mw

• 3 weeks later...

Husaberg rips, I went from a yz250f to a fe450e and the fe needs zero mods, just set-up(gears,sag, clickers etc.). A little quirky at first but well worth the time and expense. The 450 has the same bore as the 550 and 650 just a shorter stroke. To me it vibrates less and still pulls hard! ?

• 5 weeks later...

I've had my 06 FE 550e for 4 months and 800 km and it is the finest bike I have owned yet. No issues, a valve adjustment and rejet @ 20 hrs and nothing but fun when I'm on it. As with all brands you either have good local support or you order from where you trust (wherever that may be), this has been my experience and in truth Berg has been the best to deal with. I know that both shops I deal with ride the product and therefore understand any issues that arise and being riders they know what "downtime" does to a guy. The bike is great, go for it and let us know your thoughts...

edmrs

bloke..........800kms..........fair enough..........but read all the stories about overheating..........because you will be disapointed........mine is also the best bike I have riden...........blat......blat ........ but it is only 12 months old and has seized twice.

today was the second time.........I hope it does not happen to you............ and when yours does seize......it will sorry.....the service guys will keep a straight face and tell you it does not happen to anyone else.........and then ask you how the hell you managed to stuff it up that bad.....inside warranty my bill was $3400 Australian.

But yes ............. they are fantastic to ride ............ I was smiling as much as you when I decided on the name BLAT

unfortunate turn of events. You say that others have suffered your fate, is there any knowledge you can pass forward regarding the nature of the failure, where and what seized, as well as jetting, altitude, brand and quantity of oil, how many km's until your 1st episode.

Curious as well about the expense to have a repair under warranty, did they cover the 1st grenade ?

I did research prior to buying and my area hasn't had the epidemic you're speaking of... ?

• 1 year later...

I woud like to reiterate and add to what Ed just touched on: What were the circumstances in which your Berg over-heated, what year & model is your bike? has it happened on more than one occassion? if so, in what circumstances. i think you would do everyone here a great service by providing details so we can keep an eye on similiar circumstances as well as fix or upgrade anything that may avoid a similiar problem.

frank

I ride/race aFE 450 '06. the bike is bone stock, except for handguards and skidplate.

Reliability is as good as any japanese bike, or even better, because valve adjustmente is so easy.

The power is smootoh, linnear, and very predictable.

Buy one!!! You will have a permanent smile on yor face!!!

An 07 FE550 would be preferred because the main bearing area was added with reinforcement....etc. I researched this bike heavily not too long ago and still have one on a short wish list, but 07 would be my preference if possible.

If I had faith, maybe the 05/06. Some have had no issues, some have had more than I'm comfortable with. But after doing a lot of research and listening to the guys from Aussie on the husaberg forum, not sure I personally would want to risk it when it seems they got it all sorted on the 07's! Of cos’, it will cost a few pennies more. ?

I ride a 00 FC501 (one of Berg's best bikes ever) on occasion, and I can only imagine what a wider 6 speed gear box would feel like with an elec start and more grunt out in the open dez of CA where I like to ride!

But like the others have stated, especially with their first hand knowledge, these bikes have massive amounts of usable and flickable power that translates to FUN. They really are a refined powerhouse that doesn’t make you work unless you want to. The FE550 is my choice hands down when it comes to the Bergs.

+1

• 3 months later...
edmrs

bloke..........800kms..........fair enough..........but read all the stories about overheating..........because you will be disapointed........mine is also the best bike I have riden...........blat......blat ........ but it is only 12 months old and has seized twice.

today was the second time.........I hope it does not happen to you............ and when yours does seize......it will sorry.....the service guys will keep a straight face and tell you it does not happen to anyone else.........and then ask you how the hell you managed to stuff it up that bad.....inside warranty my bill was $3400 Australian.

But yes ............. they are fantastic to ride ............ I was smiling as much as you when I decided on the name BLAT

:D:eek: what the heck are you talking about???????? i have over 2000 miles and 90 hours on my 06 fe450 and have had it blow a little steam but that was at very high (6000 plus feet) on a lower than first gear switch back trail.

i ride the wide open desert, motocross tracks, and the enduro races with it, and have for the past 2.5 years, and i am bu no means easy on it.

i do however change the oil every 100 miles OR less and the filer every third, clean the air filter EVERY ride and even sometimes twice if i do over 200 miles in a weekend. it takes no time to do and is really easy. i also use ONLY motule oil.

so sorry that it happened to you twice but i have to ask why???