Sign in to follow this  

scratched wheel

I just had a new rear tire put on my bike (06 not a scratch on it). The guy at the shop charged me $90 for the tire, tube, and to put it on. The problem is he scratched the crap out of my rim and to top it off the valve stem was at about a 20 degree angle. I had to deflate the tire, break the bead, and straighten everything up. Here is the question-how ticked should i be or do i just let it go? Changing the tire is a pain and I am glad to pay to have someone do it but I can scratch my own rim. I realize it is a dirt bike and the scratches will come but something doesn't feel right here? ALso, does anyone know who carries DID rims?

What kind of tire was it? Considering what most shops charge for tires (at or near full retail) $90 isn't too bad for a (good) tire, tube and installation, although that's no excuse for sloppy work.

Taking your bike to a local shop for service is always a crapshoot, and if you're having something simple done (like changing a tire) you're more than likely going to get the least experienced kid in the shop doing it, they save the big money guys for the more difficult stuff. Whether or not it's worth complaining about is something only you can decide and it depends on your relationship with the shop, whether you plan to continue doing business there, how much it will bug you knowing you paid for substandard work, etc.

Changing tires doesn't have to be a pain, once you know the correct way, it's really pretty simple. Take the time to learn how to do it correctly and you'll be flipping tires to get a fresh edge, swapping for different track conditions, putting old tires on for practice and saving your new ones for races, changing tires for your buddies in exchange for beer, etc.

I just had a new rear tire put on my bike (06 not a scratch on it). The guy at the shop charged me $90 for the tire, tube, and to put it on. The problem is he scratched the crap out of my rim and to top it off the valve stem was at about a 20 degree angle. I had to deflate the tire, break the bead, and straighten everything up. Here is the question-how ticked should i be or do i just let it go? Changing the tire is a pain and I am glad to pay to have someone do it but I can scratch my own rim. I realize it is a dirt bike and the scratches will come but something doesn't feel right here? ALso, does anyone know who carries DID rims?

well , --yes it is a race bike, ---the wheels are a disposable part of the bike,

i generally go through one set on each year bike ---

i need a new set now ---they are both cracked bent and resemble stopsighns,--

they are only $340.0 for the whole complete rear , and $240.0 for the whole ft from honda --

so i just do not put much wory in scratches, generally on my first ride on a new bike i scratches both the wheels all to hell ,--always bend one in at least one spot generally pinch flat the ft ,--and bend both radiators to fit my long knees :ride:

----so i would not be to hard on the place ---just learn to do your own and do not worry about it,

i have to change at least one of mine every ride day from a pinch flat so i can keep riding ---its just not that big a deal :applause:

i am sorry you got treated like that-----i just did 4 tires on two bikes i am finishing up with today and i use rags and be very carful not to scratch ther already scratched wheels ,----

hell on mine i a sweating like a pig --still have all my gear on and i yank the dam thing off and slam it down in the dirt and change the thing in about 4 min and remount and ride :thumbsup::applause: baby !

It was for a Pirelli MT 32 and I'm not going to gripe. I figure it is one of those things and I'll be doing my own from now on. I appreciate the opportunity to vent a little bit. Are the ones from Honda that you described the same as stock (with the DID rims)? That is a pretty good price.

i have to change at least one of mine every ride day from a pinch flat so i can keep riding ---its just not that big a deal

You get a pinch flat everytime you ride?

I will never run a D.I.D. rim ever again. I race offroad and i destroyed two of them in two races. Never again so i bought excel's, much better now I can get mich m-12 ans s-12 combos for 100. Just put them on yourself after you've done enough of them it only takes about 15 minutes.

Ah ya shouldnt of taken em apart, if you left all crooked and took it back and just asked em to fix it they prolly would of, i just got done building my excels myself cuz i too bent my rear stock D.I.D. I got to excels seperately off ebay for about 130 total brand new. When i had my tires put on the rims after i built them i just told the guy that i knew that there were no scratches and i hope there wount be any when i get em back..

Well a local A rider told me once that if you slightly angle the valve-stem towards the rear of the bike, if the tire should pin on the rim just a bit it will help to reduce the chance of ripping the valve stem out and causing a flat. So maybe that was the reason for the angle. just a thought.

-Erick

Well a local A rider told me once that if you slightly angle the valve-stem towards the rear of the bike, if the tire should pin on the rim just a bit it will help to reduce the chance of ripping the valve stem out and causing a flat. So maybe that was the reason for the angle. just a thought.

-Erick

i leave the nut on the valve stem loose on mine so there is a little bit of movement allowed.

tighten the valve cap then tighten the valve nut up against the cap. I learned the hard way by not doing this. Trust me it works, you tube naturaly moves around in the tire and if your not careful you will rip it off.

Check out the Transworld Motocross website ...they have an article from a guy at Dunlop that will help you learn to change tires in record time...