Sign in to follow this  

Piutes this weekend?

Anyone want to do the piutes this weekend? Lots of people going to KM, gorman, even Cal city. Seems the weather might be good, but ya never know.

Could stage at Piute mtn road/kelso valley rd Sat AM, variety of routes from there. This would be an intermediate ride, hopefully, but this depends on who goes.

I could do next weekend too.

anyone interested?

How many miles are you thinking? I have a larger gas tank on order for my 2 stroker, but its on backorder. I would be down for next weekend, this one I have a wedding to go to. I have never ridden up there but I hear great things.

The number of miles depends on what we ride. Last time I did 50 mi of single track and it was a lot, other times I do 70-80 miles and it takes a full day. If you stage close you should be ok with a stock tank.

The idea is for this to be fun and do some intersting trails and not have any problems like running out of gas.

How many miles are you thinking? I have a larger gas tank on order for my 2 stroker, but its on backorder. I would be down for next weekend, this one I have a wedding to go to. I have never ridden up there but I hear great things.

What kind of tank did you end up ordering?

What kind of tank did you end up ordering?

I got the Clark 3.1. What do you have on your new acquisition Derek??? From the pic that thing looked like it had a desert tank on it. I also ordered the Utah skid plate, and that is also on backorder, but I will wait, that thing looks bulky, but it looks like it affords a great deal of protection.

Whitcher,That sounds like a nice fun mellow ride, let me know if you are still able to make it as this impending week progresses.

I'm off to go get some primo surf right now, later.

i might be able to make it Sunday, depends on work, i will know more tonight or tomorrow morning

Sunday isn't ideal as I have to back at work Mon and I usually need a day to get home and recover after riding that place! I'm over on the Coast and it takes me 3-4 hours to get home. Still, keep me posted. I have had a few who are interested in next weekend.

Sunday isn't ideal as I have to back at work Mon and I usually need a day to get home and recover after riding that place! I'm over on the Coast and it takes me 3-4 hours to get home. Still, keep me posted. I have had a few who are interested in next weekend.

Where on the coast do you live? I'm coming from Torrance.

thats cool next weekend might even be better for me too :thumbsup:

This ride did not happen, it was DOA. Sorry, I guess I didn't give everyone enough notice. Just why everyone would want to go to Gorman or Cal city instead of the Piutes is beyond me, but I am still learning. Could it be:

Dry camping?

No fast food nearby, or supermarkets either for that matter?

No motels?

Long drive into the middle of friggin nowhere?

No porta-potties (don't forget your TP!!)

No gas?

Too hot?

C'mon, if you do KM this is better, but then, don't let the secret out! it'll get ruined!

This ride did not happen, it was DOA. Sorry, I guess I didn't give everyone enough notice. Just why everyone would want to go to Gorman or Cal city instead of the Piutes is beyond me, but I am still learning. Could it be:

Dry camping?

No fast food nearby, or supermarkets either for that matter?

No motels?

Long drive into the middle of friggin nowhere?

No porta-potties (don't forget your TP!!)

No gas?

Too hot?

C'mon, if you do KM this is better, but then, don't let the secret out! it'll get ruined!

So are we still a go for next weekend like originally discussed???

We could always meet the guys doing KM that have just posted for next weekend as well, that would definitely be fun.

I haven't heard about a fire, I'll call the ranger station Mon for an update.

KM is a little farther for me, but that's ok with me too I haven't been there but I know where it is.

Let's see what everyone wants to do and if there's a fire.

Looks like we'll have to see what happens, maybe go to KM instead if the area is closed. Too bad that area was really nice before the fire. I hope it doesn't get too far up into the mountains. It was really dry last time we were up there.

I called Jawbone station - the fire is not out yet, but they are releasing some of the crews. It hasn't gotten into the Piutes yet, but that could change. So far the area is still open.

The plan to meet early Sat AM. Kevin has to be in Barstow so he'll leave early. I'll stay until Sunday if anyone else does, so it could be both days.

I'll check the fire status over the next couple of days and post updates.

You all saw the post on the fire - it is contained and the area is open according to Jawbone Station.

The plan is to meet early at Kelso Valley/Piute Mtn Rd, take trails to the top, do some single track loops up there. It may be warmer this weekend so bring lots of water! Last time we did 50 mi and that was plenty so gas should not be a problem. Could everyone interested sign in and give an arrival time?

ill be up there by the time the sun comes up. if im asleep wake me up, ill be in a chevy silverado with a black crf450.