Sign in to follow this  

Pull out the engine, respray frame

Hi,

Just thinking a few months down the track when it starts to get warmer here in AUS, but how hard is it to pull out the engine and respray the frame? What are the dangers here? what should I be wary of? Is it worthwhile? the frame has been touched up (its a 01 yz250f) and I would like to start again from scratch..

I know of the paint and clear coat needed so not after that info just more about actually disconnecting engine and forks from the frame and level of difficulty and if anybody has a 'how to' guide :ride:

:thumbsup:

I just finished repainting my sons 2000 kx 65. I know it's different than your machine but they all have basically the same parts. It took me 3 hours to remove everything off the frame. As I removed a part I took a plastic baggie and wrote what the name of the part and then put the part and screws inside. This way your not trying to figure out which one of the 162 screws goes in which hole. Plus it helps you remember the order of removal so that you can put it back together in reverse order. After you get all of the plastic off and before you start removing the "electronics" and cables take a picture of how they are routed so that you can put them back in the same place. It is really an easy task. You will learn alot and find things that you did not know needed repair. It will give you time to inspect bearings, seals etc. to keep you bike in top shape. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Take before and after pics so you can be proud of your work. One little bit of advice, "Do not attempt to do this without a shop manual." :thumbsup: There are bolts that need to be torqued to specific measurements.

like roostmonster said, main things PICTURES, PART BAGGIES, AND A TORQUE WRENCH WITH SPECS, and to make your bike feel super new pre-order all new bearings and seals etc. before so your not waiting while you bike is apart for things to arrive. good luck

A few years back, some TT guys powdercoated the frames thru a company. They got their bikes back together and got just a few rides on them and the bikes seized. they found out that during the sand blasting process, the coaters didn't seal the oil sump holes in the frame hence they had a bunch of sand in their oil with the resulting seizure.

Keep that in mind.

Screw sandblasting, I stripped the frame on my cousin's YZf with a power drill (corded industrial one, not wimp cordless one) and a coarse wire wheel. Came out clean

I have the manual :thumbsup:

Is there any special tools needed, I have a torque wrench.

I was thinking as well to use a drill and some of those circular wire drill bits which will hopefully strip the paint? Will it damage the frame?

Did you treat your frame with any rust kill or anything?

How many coats of paint are needed? Or how many cans of blue and clear?

I have the manual :thumbsup:

I was thinking as well to use a drill and some of those circular wire drill bits which will hopefully strip the paint? Will it damage the frame?

Naw, as long as you don't put too much pressure on it and let the bit do the work you shouldn't damage the frame. I didn't

Did you treat your frame with any rust kill or anything?

How many coats of paint are needed? Or how many cans of blue and clear?

If you go the "Tinkle can" method, strip the frame completley of rust. This eliminates the rust from spreading and weakening the frame/cracking the paint over it. Once all the rust is stripped off of the frame, a good automotive primer will be more than adequate...thats the $5-$7 a can primer not the cheap $2 a can from walmart. Once the primer is applied (gray is perfect) You want about 5-8 light coats of paint and about 3 coats of clear. Any thicker than this and you run the risk of the paint cracking and flaking off. Take special care to plug the drain holes on the bottom of the frame so that they don't get plugged with paint.

If you go the "Tinkle can" method, strip the frame completley of rust.

Im not sure i know of the tinkle can method??

Thanks for the info, if anyone has anythin to add please do!

Also what is the best way for stripping the aluminium subframe? With a wire wheel also??

Im not sure i know of the tinkle can method??

Thanks for the info, if anyone has anythin to add please do!

Also what is the best way for stripping the aluminium subframe? With a wire wheel also??

Spray paint bro :thumbsup:

Do not touch the aluminum subframe, just get a buffing pad and some polish and polish the boot marks out.

Spray paint bro :thumbsup:

Do not touch the aluminum subframe, just get a buffing pad and some polish and polish the boot marks out.

AAAAHHH.. hehe of course! idiot! But the subframe has paint worn away too..

AAAAHHH.. hehe of course! idiot! But the subframe has paint worn away too..

Is your bike an 01, if so you have a steel subframe. If its an 02-later then you have an aluminum subframe which is bare aluminum color.

Is your bike an 01, if so you have a steel subframe. If its an 02-later then you have an aluminum subframe which is bare aluminum color.

Its got paint on it! Its definately an 01! Sorry my mistake. So I can use a wire wheel on it to remove teh paint?

Its got paint on it! Its definately an 01! Sorry my mistake. So I can use a wire wheel on it to remove teh paint?

Yeah, be careful and you should be good to go :thumbsup:

I'll take a pic of the wheel and drill I used and post it up sometime tomorrow.

Yeah, be careful and you should be good to go :thumbsup:

I'll take a pic of the wheel and drill I used and post it up sometime tomorrow.

Thanks JSanfilippo, that would be awesome.

Thanks JSanfilippo, that would be awesome.

Sorry I didn't get around to it this afternoon had some issues with the car to deal with, I'll try for tomorrow!

Thanks for the pics, I have a HD drill at home and I actually picked up some brass wire wheels at the hardware store just last week for another job.

A would imagine it would be a large job, but as long as everything is labelled (I will intend on labelling everything) as well as taking a shiteload of pics along the way it cant be that difficult can it? just like a big jigsaw?

JSanfilippo, whats the hardest thing you found when doing it?

JSanfilippo, whats the hardest thing you found when doing it?

There wasn't anything hard about it, it was just tedious and time consuming. I speant about 2-3 hours a day on it before work and it took about 2 weeks to complete. Keeping the bolts organized will help you a great deal. Since you're pulling the motor, invest in some plugs to cover all of the frame oil holes. Post pics of the bike up when you're done with it. Here was the bike I worked on after I was done with it

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/pontiacgprixgt/MyCreation.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/pontiacgprixgt/YZ250fLeftStraight.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/pontiacgprixgt/ClutchCover.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/pontiacgprixgt/Leftsidemotor.jpg

im doing a whole rebuild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! basically the whole bike

Spray painting i dont find last.

I have sent my frame and sub frame to powdercoating...

I has a rust inhibitor in it so there is no chance of rust under the coating....

always replace old bears if they are worn out.... or you will wear out other things......

Hope it helps...

Good Luck