Sign in to follow this  

Need some buying advice - What do you think of this bike?

I'm shopping for my first motorcycle ever. I'm considering this used 2003 with 1700 miles. It's a dealer, and has supposedly been "safety inspected". I'd like to know if anyone sees anyting in these photos that would be a warning sign or that would be a deal breaker. To me, I see some signs of neglect. Just not sure how serious or how it should affect value. I do not have the opportunity to inspect the bike in person prior to purchase. I am considering an offer of $3,100 or so before shipping. What do you think?

Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Looks OK but check chain slides for wear, this is an indicator of the miles the bike has done.

Ask for a test or demo ride and if you cant see, touch and hear it, dont buy it.

Make sure it is not stolen before you buy.

Ask 'why did the owner sell it?'.

Shop around if you are a bit suspicious.

Motorcycle Consumer News says book value is $3270 so the price is about retail. Nothing wrong with that as long as you are confident you are getting a good bike. Will they warranty it at all? The bike looks to be in real good shape. Looks to have stock tires still on it....

You can't test ride it and are shipping the bike. I'm sure the dealer is a little worried about that also, shipping is a lot of work for them and they don't know if you are legit or a scam artist with a fake cashiers check. I see you live in Utah, there has to be a few DRZ400's for sale within a days drive of most of Utah.... Not sure I'd be up for buying one sight unseen, did that once, learned my lesson on that one. :thumbsup::)

It looks to be in descent shape, I would say the tire wear is consistent with 1700 miles. the rust on the bars is from a key chain rubbing on them ( mine look the same)

It looks as if it was parked outside and has some rust on the pegs because of that. will the dealer give any warranty on the bike? any service records?and can you check out the dealers reputation before you buy? the DRZ is pretty much bullet proof so as long as the oil changes have been done I would say it is a good bike. JMO

good luck

It does look like it was stored outside because of the rust in different areas and the alum is a little pitted...not really a big deal. The chain almost looks like some of the links are frozen...? :thumbsup:

Since it was stored outside I would have the Stealership inspect/repack/replace the Headset bearings and swing arm bearings :thumbsup: