Sign in to follow this  

Dr650 stock rack question/Mods

I'm wanting to setup my bike (ie the low buck route) so I can carry enough camping gear for a few days. My bike already has the stock rack and thou its well made, it lacks surface area. I was thinking about making an overlay plate out of 5/32 Alum. with the dimensions of around 12" x24" kinda like the rack extension that dual star makes for the klr.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Kawasaki/KLR%20650%20Rack%20Extension.htm

any thoughts or ideas? Also does anyone out there know what the weight limit is for the stock rack?

I believe the stock rack is rated at about 7 lbs. for it's load. I can tell you though that it will carry a 40 lb bag of dog food no problem. I've done it many times and the rack doesn't seem to be any worse for wear.

I have not done this modification yet although noticed when installing my factory rack that with some cutting and welding, the 2 factory grab bars one removes could be modified to attach to the factory rack on the sides to provide quite a bit more horizontal strap down area....Just a thought and it would look factory if one's fabrication skills are up to par

Motoretro :thumbsup:

You could go the ebay BBQ rack route like I (and others) did. He lists this as 30 lbs rating, but I wouldn't be surprised if it holds more. I dumped mine the other day right on it with no damage.

And Dual-Star... a four-letter word around here.

07-24-200610.jpg

My home made rack uses the same bolts as the useless hand grabs. I also frequently put 40# of dog food on there. I also put a mt bike cantilvered off the back and haven't had any problems. I tour with about 40# on there as well (in saddle bags and a duffle across the top)

There are some pics of all of this in my garage

when I made mine the only option was the bullet aluminum rack, which I copied to some extent

I too have the ebay BBQ rack, it's awsome. I'm an IT gut and frequently carry pc towers on it it works fine. I modded mine to work without the factory grabs bars attached as well.

Ed

06' dr 650 999mi.

I modded mine to work without the factory grabs bars attached as well.

Yeah, I kept my grab bars on, as mine is frequently "laying down". Damn lazy bike... :thumbsup:

I did the aluminum plate about 20 inch. long and other 12 inch bent 90 degrees down on both sides, I kept the grab bars, the plate just bolted to the grab bars, the plate bended down keeps the saddle bag away from the tire and the muffler, the plate is 3/16'' thick, it can be remove in 2 minutes.

I did the aluminum plate about 20 inch. long and other 12 inch bent 90 degrees down on both sides, I kept the grab bars, the plate just bolted to the grab bars, the plate bended down keeps the saddle bag away from the tire and the muffler, the plate is 3/16'' thick, it can be remove in 2 minutes.

Any pics? I remounted my stock muffler heat shield (with stronger mounts and more space between the supertrapp and the shield) to keep the bags off that side and made a plate to keep the bags off the tire. I was thinking of making a plate like you have to do a better job of holding the bags verticle. They look saggy on my rig and I don't have anywhere to tie the bottom loops to