Sign in to follow this  

06 yz250f starting problems

I'm having some trouble starting my yz250f it had the intake valves replaced a few weeks ago it has been running fine 2 days ago I replaced the oil and cleaned the air filter. When I oiled the filter i put way too much on (first time ever oiling an air filter) at the time I thought that the amount I put on was enough. Anyways it started up fine then I revved it and saw a little black smoke which could have been excess filter oil. The smoke disappeared when I revved it then

I thought I saw fire shoot out of the back of the pipe(it was a split second so I dont know if it did or not) started fine after all of that. I decided to put it away. Today I tried to start it... wouldn't start so I used the choke didn't start... then I used the hotstart and after a few kicks it made a sound like a balloon popping at the pipe. I checked the carb for remnants of the filter oil it was clean Then I checked the spark plug it was black at the tip then i decided to check the cylinder breather hose there was these black deposits from something I dont know why it isnt starting is the engine being robbed of air because I overoiled it I squeezed excess oil out of it and still the same symptom of the popping sound. Please help

Never over oil your air filter. Let it set to dry overnight before starting the bike with the filter in place or the excess sticky oil can get all caught up in your air jets (i.e. the 2 air jets are at the bottom of your carb's venturi). Blow compressed air in there to clear them out along with carb cleaner.

It also seems like your bike might be flooded or running too rich - a black plug as well as fire in the pipe would indicate that... :thumbsup: Replace or clean the spark plug AFTER you have cleaned out your air jets. Make sure the oil in your air filter has set overnight and is nice and tacky and not dripping before trying to start the bike again.

thanks for the help im going to replace the spark plug had a friend over and he said it was probably flooded too thanks for the help