Sign in to follow this  

cdi question

i was wondering if it would be better to wait untill i blow my 03 to pieces to put the 06 cdi along with the je piston 12.5.1 i got and ferrea valves or would i feel a noticeable difference right now with stock 03 everything :thumbsup:

apparently you are the only one that knows so kudos to you----sorry about that name change reply the other day----it was pretty rough of me to say that :applause:

Water under the bridge my friend. Water under the bridge. :thumbsup:

What does that mean anyway? :ride:

Ever thought that the rest of us might have been just too busy to check TT in the last 3 hours to post a response. Geezzz.

Don't wait for the motor to blow. Replace the parts now and you'll get more life from the engine. It will be cheaper to do it now.

P.S. The 250 CDI owns. I love that damn thing.

ben

Ben,

Are you at home? Stop fawking around on the PC and fix that damn bike. I can't believe that you can wait until Saturday to look at it. :thumbsup:

I just got a quad with an '03 CRF 450 motor in it, and I am still learing on the CRF engines. :thumbsup: Should I put the 06 CDI on it? I just got it back together after having to put a new crank, piston, timing chain, and timing chain tensioner in it.

is the 06 box suppose to be better? i know from experience that the 250 cdi rules :thumbsup:

I just got a quad with an '03 CRF 450 motor in it, and I am still learing on the CRF engines. :thumbsup: Should I put the 06 CDI on it? I just got it back together after having to put a new crank, piston, timing chain, and timing chain tensioner in it.

Do it.

is the 06 box suppose to be better? i know from experience that the 250 cdi rules :thumbsup:

any takers? :ride:

Ben,

Are you at home? Stop fawking around on the PC and fix that damn bike. I can't believe that you can wait until Saturday to look at it.

I was at work when you sent that Red. I need to wait until Saturday morning. I have a buddy coming over that I'm going to help. I'll be able to use his bike to compare with mine to see if I have the timing marks off, which should make it a bit easier. Plus, I want to work on it in the morning when the garage is cool and I'm not pressed for time.

ben

Won't work, you have the wrong wiring harness. The CDI pinouts changed in '04 for the CRF450R.

I can't believe the Baron missed this one, and he wants to be a moderator on this forum!?!?!?!?!!?!? :ride::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Won't work, you have the wrong wiring harness. The CDI pinouts changed in '04 for the CRF450R.

I can't believe the Baron missed this one, and he wants to be a moderator on this forum!?!?!?!?!!?!? :ride::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

You are correct. I did miss it. :thumbsup: I'm in rough shape today. I went riding last night and jacked my back all up. I rode a friends bike and he's 50 pounds lighter than me. I seat bounced a jump and bottomed his shock hard and compressed my back. It's killing me!

Anyway, the 02-03 harness is different than the 04-06 maybe 07 but i haven't seen one yet. To use a newer cdi you will have to also install an 04-06 harness.

All he needs is the '04 harness, it's less than $30 and easy to swap...the '05 and newer harnesses require you to trim off a plug going to the stator and install 4 male connectors to mate up to the '03 existing wiring.

On the '04 harness, the only difference is that the '02 and '03 have 4 females coming from the stator and the '04 harness has 2 males and 2 females....you need 4 males. You need to simply trim the rubber cover off of the 2 females on the '04 harness, and crimp the 2 females ends in on themselves and they will fit like males right in to the stock females on the '03...very simple and no splicing required.

Also, the '05 and '06 modules have the same part number: 30410-MEN-711, so they are most likely identical maps.

All he needs is the '04 harness, it's less than $30 and easy to swap...the '05 and newer harnesses require you to trim off a plug going to the stator and install 4 male connectors to mate up to the '03 existing wiring.

On the '04 harness, the only difference is that the '02 and '03 have 4 females coming from the stator and the '04 harness has 2 males and 2 females....you need 4 males. You need to simply trim the rubber cover off of the 2 females on the '04 harness, and crimp the 2 females ends in on themselves and they will fit like males right in to the stock females on the '03...very simple and no splicing required.

Also, the '05 and '06 modules have the same part number: 30410-MEN-711, so they are most likely identical maps.

:thumbsup:

It revs quicker, which translates to faster power delivery. You do get a bumped rev limiter, but it won't help you make power past the point in the rpm range that the motor stops making power.

My friend Rick tried the CDI on his 2004 and didn't want to give it back. He searched one out for sale and it should be here before the weekend. He was sold on how good it was after only a few laps.

ben