Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 good for my friend??

I'm currently getting a YZ250F, and my friend wants to get a 2 stroke YZ250. He's 5'10" and 175 do you think it's a good fit or too much bike for him? Thanks, btw he's moving up from a CRF 150

It all depends on your buddy. What kind of rider is he, how much experience does he have? I got my first bike when I was 26yrs, 5'11" 180 lbs and it was a yz 250.

he's 15 and has ridden for like 3 years. Personally I want him to get a 4-stroke so he doesn't kill himself. He just wanted some other advice if like his size and weight could keep the front tire down and the bike in control.

he's 15 and has ridden for like 3 years. Personally I want him to get a 4-stroke so he doesn't kill himself. He just wanted some other advice if like his size and weight could keep the front tire down and the bike in control.

Again, it is all about the rider. The only way he is going to keep the front tire on the ground is with throttle control and body position. If he is 15 and has been riding for three years he should have enough knowledge to handle a 250 smoker, I would reccomend it, he could out grow a 250f quickly. What is he coming off of?

He's coming off of a Honda CRF 150. errg I have to go, but thanks for your help, I'll check back later

That is going to be a big jump to a 250 2stroke. Do you let your friend ride your bike? If not you should probably let him tear it up on your bike for a few hours and evaluate his ability.

The yz 250 weighs less than the crf 150. Those things weigh a ton. I was going to get one for my wife until I realized the bike would go 240 with a full tank of gas. Some beginner bike. They also make very little horsepower. It would be nice if your friend could ride a 125 for a week or two before moving up. His size would be ok for the 250.

Size-wise, he's probably perfect for the YZ. If he can exercise good throttle control, he'll do fine. He just needs to learn the bike under controlled circumstances (flat, wide open spaces); things happen fast on a YZ at WOT :thumbsup: .

im 15 i got a yz250 a few weeks ago i was comin from a xt350 its a huge step and he wont like it at frist cause its gonna scare the shit out of him cause he wont be able to keep the front end down it just pulls hard. im used to the 2 stroke now and i love it its just differnt throttle control and wieght placement the throttle is very delicate in the powerband and respnds quick. alot faster than a 150. but he will like it im 5'10 165lbs and handle it fine my second season of riding,(i caught on very quick) and can hold the bike wide open after a few rides. great bike and alot of fun id reccomend one for him

bleh, you just dont want him on that yz250 because he will blasting by you :thumbsup:

I agree, Im 16, 5'9", 145lbs and got a yz250 a few months ago after coming off of a crf 230. Its a handful at first in the hills, but you get used to it. In the sand and tracks/jumps it absolutely rips compared to the 230, he'll love the weight difference and get hooked on the instant power from the happy handle.

Sweet, thanks for the advice. Even If he will fly by me he'll have trouble on corners and pretty much anything not straight. lol, anyways once he gets it Im sure he'll love it, thanks again for your help

I'm 25 5'11 190 pounds and just bought my first bike '01 YZ250. Any Suspension setup advice?

I agree with "06YZ." I say go with the YZ250. If he is 15, he has a little more growing to do and that 250 could last him forever. Keep in mind, it is all about self control. He should just know his limitations.

he'll be fine..

i'm 14, 5'4 and weigh 130..i ride a yz125..

my bro has a yz 250 that i ride sometimes when he lets me and i ride that with ease. just tell your friend to learn how to control the throttle.

so for your friends size i think hed do good if he has some experience.