Sign in to follow this  

Cam Chain and Tensioner

For those who have changed a tensioner and cam chain, I was wondering at how many hours this was performed? Did you replace the "cam chain", "lifter tensioner" AND the " tensioner, cam chain" (which is the black plastic/rubber piece that guides the chain from the crank shaft up to the cam lobes) too? I'm looking for some input on what those in the know have replaced while servicing this component and at what hours this was done at.

Thanks

BB50

Change it all at rebuild. It is cheep insurance.

At rebuild? Do you mean wait for the valves or piston to cause the rebuild? Or do you mean if the cam chain is out of tolerance or that I notice/hear that there are problems with the chain to cause a rebuild of the component.

What I'm looking for is approximately when - in hours - those of you that have done this and what were the major components replaced. Obviously the lifter tensioner and the cam chain, but there are other parts that might not necessarly need replacing unless obviously worn like the "tensioner cam chain" as it is called ( left black piece) or the cam chain guide ( the oposite white plastic piece that guides the chain from the top of the cam lobes down to the flywheel). I'm just looking for input from those who have perfomed this procedure and did not blow up the bike first. :thumbsup:

Most folks will say do it at the new piston install and for most that would be around 50 hours (chain). The plastic parts are hard to tell. I clean mine very well and check both for signs of wear and cracks. They both are made of high heat thermoplastic and usually wear will start to show before a thermal failure.

As for a time frame for those two parts specifically.....let your good judgement be your guide. :thumbsup:

Also the automatic cam chain tensioner should be replaced with the chain. Some folks have switched to the manual ones, but I prefer the auto one.....it's less to keep in spec.

Hey that makes sence, but wow 50 hrs on a piston? I've been told that you can get much more out of them. Like two valve jobs at least. I revalved at 80hrs (05 CRF 450) and the piston was still in spec, although I didn't pull it out of the sleve to check it. I just put the micrometer to it. I would have gone further if I had not heard that they are quite durable (piston).

My son races his 250 and "wrings the juice out of it". I don't replace the piston at 50 hours (I run a JE high comp), but I do the rings and a full decarb at about 50 hours. The current piston is way over 100 hours and will be replaced soon with a new one. I usually do all of the spec measurements and if it is still in spec and no visible wear/damage, I'll ring it and run it some more.

Even though I have over 100 hours on this piston, I don't recommend any more than that!

Hey that makes sence, but wow 50 hrs on a piston? I've been told that you can get much more out of them. Like two valve jobs at least. I revalved at 80hrs (05 CRF 450) and the piston was still in spec, although I didn't pull it out of the sleve to check it. I just put the micrometer to it. I would have gone further if I had not heard that they are quite durable (piston).

Did you realize Honda and your owners manual recommends piston swap out at 15 hours!! Granted that may be a little extreme, but 50 hours on a piston is alot of riding time.