Sign in to follow this  

How should i prep my bike for 6 months of not riding?

I just had a knee surgey(ACL reconstrction) 2 weeks ago(June 19th) and there will be no riding for me until January :ride: !!! I didnt already ride my bike 2 months before surgery! I was wondering if there is anything i should do to my bike drain fuel tank, maybe engine oil etc. :thumbsup:!!! There are spider webs growing in the spokes lol!!

Thanks in advance!

I just had a knee surgey(ACL reconstrction) 2 weeks ago(June 19th) and there will be no riding for me until January :ride: !!! I didnt already ride my bike 2 months before surgery! I was wondering if there is anything i should do to my bike drain fuel tank, maybe engine oil etc. :thumbsup:!!! There are spider webs growing in the spokes lol!!

Thanks in advance!

I had my ACL replaced on 4/21/06. I started riding again back at the beginning of July. Nice easy rides to start, and going fairly well full at it by now. Stay with your PT, and you'll be able to ride far sooner than 6 full months. Did you do ACL reconstruction, or replacement? Maybe there is a difference is total healing time.

Dodger

Drain the gas tank & Float bowl

Drain the radiators

Inflate the tires to about 15 lbs and put the bike on a stand

Change the oil, old oil has contaminates that can screw stuff up

Clean and dry bike throughly.

Thats about it

Just for 6 months. I don't think you need to do anything except start it once a month and let it warm up.. I'd turn off the gas and let it run out each time. That amount of time isn't going to hurt anything. It would be different if you were storing it outside in a shed in the winter... then you need to do a few things.

Personally I like having all fluids in the bike. Make sure stabil is used in the fuel.

edit - hope you get better!

grab some wd-40, and go to town. other than that. put it on a stand with both wheels with no weight to avoid flatspots.

i wouldnt do anything more. just start it 1-2 times a month.

your sig doesn't say what bike you have but since your on this site, I assume its a four stroke. I would change out the oil and make sure the chain is oiled well so it doesn't run and drain the fuel, chances are you bike won't start with six month old fuel in it

It is good to drain the gas. New oil would be a good idea also. I wouldn't go to town with WD-40 as someone stated because the main ingredient in WD-40 is water, and will cause things to rust.

It is good to drain the gas. New oil would be a good idea also. I wouldn't go to town with WD-40 as someone stated because the main ingredient in WD-40 is water, and will cause things to rust.

From my experience, I believe that WD-40 displaces water and prevents rust!

WaterDeterant-40 will cause things to rust? You say that with such confidence that I almost believe you. Can you please elaborate on how a product that I've used for years to defend against rust will actually cause it? :thumbsup:

I've always heard from gun people that WD-40 is big no no for cleaning guns. The water in it will cause the barrel to rust. I've heard it from several people, just assumed that it was true. Maybe it's not. :thumbsup:

I have never ever done anything to store my bikes for up to a year and never had a problem.

word...i had back injuries and lots of school so i parked my bike for about 9 months...i rode it, washed it parked it as i would normally do...9 months later i changed the oil, checked fluids etc and rode away as if i never parked it, my bike ran like a champ and still is

Holy crap Darvo, look what else I found! This kind of mistated information is everywhere!! There's no limit to the kind of money we can make off of litigation!! Hurry back with your results. I'm geting sooo exited. I'm finally going to be able to live in that mansion I've always dreamed about!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

P.S. OK, I'll stop now. This was fun though. I'm bored at work. LOL

Holy crap Darvo, look what else I found! This kind of mistated information is everywhere!! There's no limit to the kind of money we can make off of litigation!! Hurry back with your results. I'm geting sooo exited. I'm finally going to be able to live in that mansion I've always dreamed about!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

P.S. OK, I'll stop now. This was fun though. I'm bored at work. LOL

Alright, I was wrong. Settle down now. :thumbsup: