Sign in to follow this  

I'm a New Racer and Having Whoop Problems

Guys,

Last weekend was my first race ever I'm 15 and I got 2nd place for my first race I thought i did allright but I would have had first if I wouldn't have had such a time with the whoops I never had hit whoops before in my life till that race in the practice heat I washed my front end out and got close to it in the race but the only thing that slowed me down was the whoops I would go over them so slow I would go over them individualy not in rythem since I'm new I don't know how to correct this do i ride the back wheel or what do I do I need someone who has done this over and over for a good while because I have another race in 2 weeks and I'm screwed if I don't get something down pat soon help please :thumbsup: ,

thanks

P.S. I have trail ridden for 4 years

Shift to 3rd gear, get your weight over the rear end, squeeze the bike between your legs, keep the elbows up with a pretty good bend to them and get at it. Whoops take commitment. If you start out fast you have to keep going fast until you are out. If you let off and drop the front end, you'll be endoing. The higher the gear the better the suspension will work and the harder you squeeze the bike, the less apt it will be to get away from you.

Ok I'm going to make a set of whoops in my backyard today and try it so I ave to try it 3rd gear, shift weight to rear, squezze bike between legs, keep elbow high with a bend, and ride it like it like that to the end? Ohh when I raced it was muddy does that change the technique any?

Ok I'm going to make a set of whoops in my backyard today and try it so I ave to try it 3rd gear, shift weight to rear, squezze bike between legs, keep elbow high with a bend, and ride it like it like that to the end? Ohh when I raced it was muddy does that change the technique any?

If it's muddy than you need to squeeze harder to really control the bikes side to side action and really keep the weight off the front end.

thank you so much this is what I needed to know next time I'll get 1st place with this!

Oh I also had a time clearing the doubles where it was muddy I couldn't get enough traction and speed to get enough momentum to clear the jumps right is there a solution or should i just hold on for dear life and pray I make it.

Maybe I should try the ergonomics trick that guy in here posted about LOL. He deserves the :thumbsup: of the year award

Oh I also had a time clearing the doubles where it was muddy I couldn't get enough traction and speed to get enough momentum to clear the jumps right is there a solution or should i just hold on for dear life and pray I make it.

Seat bouncing may help you out. When you get to the jump face pop down on the seat and then when you leave the jump the bike will sort of kick you back up into a standing position.

Cool well I'm renting my local track Saturday for the whole day :ride: and I'm going to write all this down and try it on the track,

Becareful with seat bouncing. I wouldn't start off doing a full blow seat bounce from the standing position. First try doing it while sitting down, it will kick your back end up quite a bit if you are not used to it.

I remember RideRaceLive123 gave a tip of slowing down the shock rebound so it doesn't kick so much. I never really had a problem of the back end kicking up too much when I was learning.

imitate this: http://www.motocrossguru.com/Media/images/Lesson%20Web%20Pics/L28WEBPIC%20copy.gif

his butt is over the seat a little with his head still over the bars. Depending on the whoops you may have to lean back farther or you might not. also constant gas and squeezing the knees is huge. stand on the balls of your feet so your legs can act as suspension and you don't get kicked over the bars as easy(do not stand on arches)

lol, your gonna kill this kid,.... 3rd gear and commit. 3rd gear getting rapped out could take you for a heck of a ride if you dont know what your doing over whoops depending on there size. take it slow, go one step at a time. as for seat bouncing, your not gonna go out in your second race ever and beable to seat bounce all of these doubles. your best bet is to find something small and practice seat bounceing before you go over gaps, get use to how your suspension is going to throw you.

lol, your gonna kill this kid,.... 3rd gear and commit. 3rd gear getting rapped out could take you for a heck of a ride if you dont know what your doing over whoops depending on there size. take it slow, go one step at a time. as for seat bouncing, your not gonna go out in your second race ever and beable to seat bounce all of these doubles. your best bet is to find something small and practice seat bounceing before you go over gaps, get use to how your suspension is going to throw you.

I told him 3rd gear because it will help the shock work better and he will be less apt to loop out because the motor won't hit as hard. He's not going to be tapping 3rd out.

a good way to practice a hard set of whoops is to go through them over and over. At first roll most of them except for maybe a few at the end, the next time get on the gas about halfway or so, then start sooner and eventually you have to commit from the start but you will have alot better feel for the section by then.

thanks guys i went to the track all day today and practiced them till I was worn out we stayed there for 5 hours straight I also worked on seat bouncing I think i have the hang of it now I was clearing doubles a lot cleaner than I was before. thanks :thumbsup:

ohh do you guys think I should hit them in sets of 2 or just one by one.

depend on how many bumps is in whoops, if it even then try jump each 2 set, if it odd, well try jump 2 or 3 set but sometime you gonna have to do 1 set but i am new rider as well

doubling through them depends on how big or far apart they are.

If you want to blitz whoops, gearing up is the best way, except hard for beginners. I would do them in second untill i got comfortable.... they are right in saying lean back but a little mis-leading. You need you get your ass back, but you need to keep your elbows up and upper body leaning forward toward the bars. Grip the bike hard with your legs to keep from swapping. Whoops are all a confidence thing.... you get your body position right, and blast those suckers without letting out of the throttle one time, you'll be asking yourself "what have I been waiting on"

As for seat bouncing, its an art best learned on smaller jumps.... Its difficult to get the right seat position. A good rule of thumb is the faster your going, the further forward you sit, and the slower the further back you sit... but i dont suggest sitting on the rear fender.