convert XR400 headlight to dual filament

I've heard this is doable. Has anyone come across anything on this?

fourstrokesonly used to sell a dual filament replacement bulb for this, came with an extra wire that you'd run to your hi beam switch. Only took about 2 months for it to come when I had ordered it.

I heard you can get a light socket from a late 80's XR600 that will fit into a 96-04 housing that supports dual filament bulbs. Anyone ever try this?

I have the Baja Designs HP headlight unit with a hi/low. The headlight is an auto headlight 55w but I can't remember the part number. The stator needs to be beefed up a little but it lights up fine while riding. I even wired in a on/off/on switch.

If you want more light you need a halogen in there. If I remember correctly a H1 or H3 bulb can be made to fit the stock housing with some filing or grinding. The best way is to get an aftermarket headlight with an H4 bulb. Lots of choices for H4 bulbs.

the acerbis cyclops head light has 2 55w halogen bulbs. one is a spot style light and the other a flood style giving the appearance of a high low beam light. My 400 came with one and is actually a decent like. Not cheap but sure is nice. has a 2 way switch which lights each of the lights independatly also similar to a high low beam light. It gives plenty of light for the night riding and is much better than the stock chinsey 400 light

If you want more light you need a halogen in there. If I remember correctly a H1 or H3 bulb can be made to fit the stock housing with some filing or grinding. The best way is to get an aftermarket headlight with an H4 bulb. Lots of choices for H4 bulbs.

I think mine is the H3 (Baja Designs HP about $80). It looks pretty stock also. It does have a glass lens on it which both mine and a friends have shattered already. I replaced it with some 1/4 plexi I had.