Mexico's Political Climate

Anyone worried about what is/might be happening with the presidential election? All I know is that the results are being disputed or something like that. I'm curious of the thoughts from the residents and those of you who's lives revolve around Mex.

It is freaky. I did my masters thesis in Mexico--lived down there and all that but i dont have my finger on the pulse. My Mexican workers all say PAN will stay in power. Sure hope so!

Interesting to note that yesterday Mexico's outgoing president 'warned' that Venzuela is now assisting heroin and cocaine transhipment into Mexico....a thinly veiled threat from Fox about the latest memeber of the 'axis of evil'?

Can you imagine Mexico joining Cuba, Bolivia and Venezuela in a reactionary latino front with links to Iran and North Korea? The wave of old left popularists taking power now in Latin America is sad. Democracy is much more than one person, one vote....

Troops will clear out the Zocalo once the election commision makes a firm decision.

Any of you guys who live in Mexico think the left will get power? Recount? Civil war?!

Which party has "currently won" and which party is calling for recount and claiming fraud? The second party sounds like sore loosers to me.

Seems to be more of an issue in mainland versus baja, but there were a lot of campaign signs and flags still around from my farily recent trip past Ensenada.

People wonder why mexico is a third world country where the vote doesnt even matter as long as the people dont get there way they will "revolt".

Dude, I've read this three times now and I don't understand what you are trying to say.

they don't want to be able to vote because there not capable of acting in a mature way if they don't get what they want so who ever loses will probably act like monsters

Gotcha, sounds like that might be what is happening. I saw a headline somewhere on the net, I didn't read the article, that basicly hinted towards major unrest over this. Pretty wild.

At this point 99% of the problems/unrest is in Mexico City where the sore loser has a following.

At one of the government buildings in Ensenada there has been a small daily gathering of protesters. By small I mean maybe a dozen people of retirement age.

There is no more danger to Americans today then there was before the elections. Of course if the rocks/bottles/bullets start to fly that could change simply because a mob will attack anyone that is not part of the mob. As proved by the blacks in Los Angles.

There is little chance that any of you riding dirt bikes will encounter any election protesters in the desert. They will be where the cameras and beer is most abundant.

Third world or not most of the Mexicans I know are disgusted with the behavior of the loser and his followers. He promised them a welfare system similar to the U.S. system and they were looking forward to the free money every month. The middle and upper class has no sympathy for the lower class and their complaining.

This will not come to a show down until after September 6 2006. By race time in November all the protesters will either have gone home or have been given decent funerals by the survivors.

At this point 99% of the problems/unrest is in Mexico City where the sore loser has a following.

At one of the government buildings in Ensenada there has been a small daily gathering of protesters. By small I mean maybe a dozen people of retirement age.

There is no more danger to Americans today then there was before the elections. Of course if the rocks/bottles/bullets start to fly that could change simply because a mob will attack anyone that is not part of the mob. As proved by the blacks in Los Angles.

There is little chance that any of you riding dirt bikes will encounter any election protesters in the desert. They will be where the cameras and beer is most abundant.

Third world or not most of the Mexicans I know are disgusted with the behavior of the loser and his followers. He promised them a welfare system similar to the U.S. system and they were looking forward to the free money every month. The middle and upper class has no sympathy for the lower class and their complaining.

This will not come to a show down until after September 6 2006. By race time in November all the protesters will either have gone home or have been given decent funerals by the survivors.

Vincent Fox's party (right) has wont he election. The (left/"democratic") looser is Obrador and before his presidential candidacy is also the mayor I Mexico city - hence his ability to protest and shut the place down.

Obrador is demanding a total vote by vote recount, but the electoral dudes said they will only do a partial recount. Bush Gore 2000, but Obrador is really (un-necessarily) riling up the common folk. Making hte peso loose value, stopping millions of dollars a day in city commerce and keeping my pushing my Mexico stocks down. - dick head. ? Why can't he just give up like Gore did?

Vincent Fox's party (right) has wont he election. The (left/"democratic") looser is Obrador and before his presidential candidacy is also the mayor I Mexico city - hence his ability to protest and shut the place down.

Obrador is demanding a total vote by vote recount, but the electoral dudes said they will only do a partial recount. Bush Gore 2000, but Obrador is really (un-necessarily) riling up the common folk. Making hte peso loose value, stopping millions of dollars a day in city commerce and keeping my pushing my Mexico stocks down. - dick head. ? Why can't he just give up like Gore did?

I just read this morning how he is rallying protesters in front of 3 major banks owned by foreign corporations, Banamex, Bancomer and HSBC to try to force a full recount. Wild stuff.

Stable Peso, and the peso is free floating (not controlled). Currency is one of the best indicators of a Nation's stability.

10 years ago, no one would imagine a Presidential election NOT "won" by the PRI. 16 years ago you wouldn't imagine a State Governor NOT from the PRI party (1989 Baja was the first in all Mexico since the Revolution). The PRI came in a distant 3rd in this Presidential election. The PRD are going to bitch and moan to the very end, but it won't do any good. Democracy was a long time coming, and the people in Mexico won't let a bunch of protesters in Mexico City change this.

Mexico has a lot of serious problems to face in the near future, but it is not from the political process. Violent crimes, drug cartels, decreasing oil revenues, poor infrastructure, and tax structure are the big ones.

This is a link to a good daily news summary from Mexico City: http://www.mexiconews.com.mx/