Sign in to follow this  

Bike Storage... Again

I tried to search for my old post about storing my bike, but searching is disabled. I flipped through pages and pages of threads, and couldn't find the topic.

So to summarize: In less than a week I'm leaving for college. I would like to take my bike, and am thinking of putting it in a storage facility.

My questions are: With the climate of Dallas TX, is A/C necessary? I keep my bike in the garage as it is. Getting a place without A/C would cut the cost almost in half. Second, I'm thinking of getting a 5' x 10' storage place. Do you think that would be enough room for the bike, gear, small toolbox, and leave enough room to work on it? I'm having a hard time getting a mental picture. With what I listed, I'm looking at about $50 - $75 a month with about a 15 - 20 minute drive to them from campus. At least most of them are on an interstate, which would make it quicker getting out of town and to a track (hopefully).

If anyone has any help, I'd appreciate it.

Go to control panel at the top of this page , click it .

Then click on threads I've replied to . :thumbsup:

James

Well to get a mental picture, i would get a tape measure, and mark out 5x10 with some chalk or something and then try to fit all your stuff in it. Worth a try. :thumbsup:

Well to get a mental picture, i would get a tape measure, and mark out 5x10 with some chalk or something and then try to fit all your stuff in it. Worth a try. :thumbsup:

that could work, or at least help out a little. Try that.

Make a cardboard fort (not joking), that's 5x7 and try and put it all your stuff in then when all your stuf's in, turn off the AC so it's really hot then try and change the oil in that little area in the hot temperate and there's your answer. :thumbsup:

Well, it will be a bit tight in a 5 x 10 for sure, but your stuff should fit okay. Now if you can back your bike out of that tiny box to work on it, you should be good to go. I wouldn't care to actually work on a bike in that small of an area, I'd want at LEAST 8 x 10. Yeah, do a mock-up an see what you think. Perhaps leave the bike a home until you can find something like a 10 x 20 and split the costs with a fellow rider. That would give you both some room and probably end up costing you about the same.

Don't worry about a climate controlled storage area, your bike can handle the heat and cold.

Don't worry about a climate controlled storage area, your bike can handle the heat and cold.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. I know it will be fairly uncomftorable, but I can't pay $150 a month for A/C. They do it on a month by month basis, so I'm going to try to find either a garage, or someone to split one with after I get out there.