Sign in to follow this  

Usable fuel in a Clarke tank?

I just bought a Clarke tank for my S and looking at the design I'm wondering how much fuel is trapped in the lower right side portion? Other than laying the bike on its side to move the fuel over, has anyone come up with a way to use the whole tank? Like a second petcock and a hose to link the 2 sides? I'll bet there is a half gallon of unusable fuel in the right side.

the vibrations from riding do a really good job of getting the gas over to the left side.

I ran mine out just to see how much reserve I had with the new tank. When the bike hit the reserve I had 19 miles remaining. After leaning it over to get the last drop out of the right side I got another three miles. WOT on the freeway on knobbies I do not get very good gas mileage :thumbsup:

I traveled 150 miles approx. and had to be right there at reserve. It took 3.7xx at the station. I think reserve with the Clarke means "start praying"

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I just went out and compared the petcock mounting areas of the stocker and the Clarke. Without an actual measurement the stocker seems to have a significant larger capacity.We all need to do a little test for ourselves.

I had to switch to reserve on the highway after 180 miles. Filled it with 3.2 gallons as I recall.

My BMW's have dual petcocks with a fuel crossover line. I would think that would be a real nice addition to the Clarke tank.

just lean REALLY far into the turn! get good rubber first tho, or a good doctor. :thumbsup:

--keith

You can always carry a siphon... :thumbsup:

or use the vent hose (which you have made sure will be long enough for the purpose before putting it on of course.)

I find the total fuel in the tank gets used right to the last drop (mines transparent)

I set my tank up on the edge of the bathtub in the mounted position and measured in water at about room temp until it was full. It held exactly 16L to within 2" of the cap. I graduated it by the litre as I was doing it with a dry-erase marker, then lined the marks up with the bodywork and erased them to create an invisible rough fuel gauge.

Its a magic thing...................

I thought this when I got mine, but it seems to get sloshed about and finds it way over to the left side pretty well

NB leaning into corners doesn't do anything, coz centrifugal force pushes the fuel to the bottom, its how the petrol stays level in the float bowl in the carb when your going around corners

There is not enough left in the right side to worry about but you had better use your odometer to tell when to get gas. I hit reserve right at 220 miles but there had better be a gas station in sight.

that extra gass saved my ass 2 times on the freeway. Thought i had enugh to make it home but no. with in 1 mile. so i tipped it over to get the last bit and made it just fine. ITs my reserves reserve.

Have a 3.9 Clarke on my S and have filled tank after a few miles on reserve but not out of fuel and was able to put in 4.1 gallons. How much more could be in the tank? I believe that the fuel (or lack of) in the tank opposite the petcock is a non issue.

Have a 3.9 Clarke on my S and have filled tank after a few miles on reserve but not out of fuel and was able to put in 4.1 gallons.

I would question the meter on that gas station's pump.