Sign in to follow this  

Picking up and riding home a 2000 DR650

I am flying next Fri to Reno to pick up a 2000 DR650. It has 11,000 miles and is supposed to be a good smooth runner that burns no oil and has no problems. I am gonna put some new rubber on it in Reno,and take 3 or 4 days to ride it back to Phoenix. I have a 91, so I am somewhat familiar with the bike already. Anything I should look for besides the usual when I go to inspect/pay for/ride off with the bike? Anyone here between Reno and Vegas willing to help me in case I have trouble? Thanks and I can't wait.......

Buy a 16 tooth C/S sprocket and change it when you change the tires.

Just make sure it is not leaking oil from the cylinder base gasket and ride it home.

Maybe buy a spitfile "06" windshield to break some of the windblast @ 85 mph too.

Put a 14 tooth sprocket on it when you go off road.

Enjoy.

I have a 16 from my 91, and it was too tall. I put a 15 on it. What comes stock on a 2000? Does it bolt on or go on with a clip? Thanks,Tom

Well,I made it home okay.800 miles and not a single problem, besides the hard seat :ride:...Mileage with the stock gearing sucked,seemed about 35(or less) at 75-80 MPH.If I slowed to 60 or so it went up over 50.I tried to put on a 16t sprocket that I had from my 91 DR but the 3 hole bolt pattern is just SLIGHTLY different and I could not get the bolts to line up.Bike ran great,looks great,and was an unbelievable bargain at, get this, 1300 for a 2000 with 11,000 miles on it.:thumbsup: Here it is loaded with my gear and tank bag I brought with at Walker Lake, near Hawthorne Nevada.

newdr.jpg

$1300 for a 2000 with 11K miles??? Wow, how did you find such a deal??? I'll buy it from you for $1400 :thumbsup:

I have a 16 from my 91, and it was too tall. I put a 15 on it. What comes stock on a 2000? Does it bolt on or go on with a clip? Thanks,Tom

Congratulations on a great deal and safe trip! :ride::thumbsup:

I have an '01 and stock gearing is 15T front and 42T rear. The countershaft sprocket is retained by a splined washer that rests in a groove (in the countershaft) and is held in place by three bolts to the sprocket. I ordered a 14T and a 16T front from

www.kientech.com

for around $18/ea. They came with a clip to retain the sprocket (or you could use the three bolt setup). I've been using the clip with no problems. I use the 16T for commuting (mostly highway) and the 14T for dirt. The 16T is very nice on the freeway and nets a little better mileage with the added benefit of less wear on the engine. I'm a little puzzled as to why your mileage dropped so much at 75/80 MPH....thats my usual speed and even with the 15T I could figure on mid 50's mpg.

Hey nice bike, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but swapping sprockets brings up a question. Do those of you who swap out sprockets frequently leave the cover off? I got a 14t which helps a bunch off road, but 99% I'm commuting and would like the 15t back on so i don't have to give all my money to Exxon.

Ed