Sign in to follow this  

kdx80 case split

Im workin on a bike for a friend and the shaft that the shift lever bolts onto is stripped and broken off, so theres no way that the shift lever will go on. How easy is it to slpit the case, so I can get to the shaft and replace it? Anyone have any experience with splitting cases on any bikes? Im sure they are all similar. Thanks a lot! And the bike is a '84 KDX80.

I have a kx80 that I have yet to dig into myself but I could have sworn that all you have to do is take off the clutch side cover opposite of the shift rod. It looks like it has a retainer clip and it should slide out? I don't think you need to split the case. I could be wrong, Ill have to take another look.

There is a way to do it without splitting the case, my buddy did it I believe he did something but the whole bike ended up blowing up eventually. :thumbsup:

thanks, this is a KDX80, so is not very easy to find parts for...

thanks, this is a KDX80, so is not very easy to find parts for...

Before you go crazy, make sure you can still get a shift shaft. It's a good chance they are no longer available

My buddy has no totally taken apart if you want some parts I'll talk to him. HE just put a brand new shift shaft on then his top end blew and he took out a pretty big junk in the cylinder. I have no idea how he managed that one. But ehre's a couple crates of parts in his basement if your interested.

The shift shaft can be replaced w/o splitting cases...Just remove the clutch cover, clutch basket, etc...and the shift shaft can be removed, then reassemble and hope no shift forks are bent !

My buddy has no totally taken apart if you want some parts I'll talk to him. HE just put a brand new shift shaft on then his top end blew and he took out a pretty big junk in the cylinder. I have no idea how he managed that one. But ehre's a couple crates of parts in his basement if your interested.

could you please do me a favor and ask him how much he wants for the shift shaft? I can get it for 36 on bikebandit, so ask him how much he wants for his...and is this an '84 kdx80 were talking about?