Sign in to follow this  

Best 2007 Off-Road 450cc

KTM all the way. I live in a small town and have a good dealer. My only gripe is waiting a week sometimes for parts. The 450 is more than I really need in the woods but stands out on the short stretches of asphalt. Mine is geared down and still hits 90mph. Maintenance is easy. For an enduro I would say it's the best choice hands down.

Does KTM dominate because there better bikes or because they are able to support more good riders on there average bikes? Remember...90%rider-10%bike:thumbsup: I'm sure most all of those KTM racers are not on stock suspension like most of the racers with link rear suspension. Funny thing though, a riding buddy of mine didn't think his KTM suspension was lacking either until he rode my GasGas then he sold his bike...but that's stock suspension, not high dollar race suspension.

mmm, INTERESTING!

ur looking at the same expense. KTM has had no problems with it's suspension offroad. Sounds like 2007 is the year they get the mx suspension dialed in from the reviews I have read.
The reviews often say such funny things... I really doubt WP got the suspension right the first year with twin chamber forks, especially since they are still fiddling with the conventionals in the Enduros.

Why did KTM abandon linkage anyway? Is there a patent that they have been avoiding paying royalties to by not using it, making it possible to sell their bikes in the US at a competitive price, or are they simply trying to save weight.

The linkageless rear suspension allows a more straight intake, that why KTMs typically produce more power than the competition, at least the 2-strokes. I don't think there much weight difference, in a KTM you see a big chunk of swingarm that is missing with linkage. Some other say it is just a marketing thing, for having something that separates them from the others, like Yamaha with the 5-valves and so on... they might be correct.

It took a while for me to decide, but I finally did it. The funny thing is that I did not get a 450. It's a HUSKY TC250 waiting at my garage for its second ride. Now I know that I was such a virgin before riding this bike... Thank you all for helping with your valuable opinions. :thumbsup:

[quote name=Rocco NewrouteIt's a HUSKY TC250 waiting at my garage for its second ride.

Now I know that I was such a virgin before riding this bike...

Can you tell us about the ride? How is it compared to your past rides? etc?

I guess the decision is through, congratulations on the new bike Rocco. I can't help but comment a bit on some of the misinformation in this thread, though. Linkless suspension is (or can be) still progressive; as the suspension moves through its arc the angle on the shock changes. If you engineer it correctly (and some argue KTM didn't to start with) it is BETTER than link suspension as it is more direct. KTMs used to have linkage and chose a route they believe is better. They have not proved their theory in Supercross, but for a small company with low rider budgets they own Enduro racing and represent very well in MX (in Europe and now in the "Lites" class).

Nonetheless, have you ever read an ENDURO comparison where people complained about KTM suspension? The 400EXC and then 450EXC won the vast majority (virtually all) of the enduro shootouts I have read for five years. And please don't tell me you think tiny little KTM "bought" their reviews with advertising! Hilarious to suggest KTM popularity is purchased with corporate $, as many people on KTM sites complain endlessly that KTM provides no contingency $ to racers. All those privateers are spending those "extra" dollars on KTMs because they like the bikes.

I've ridden both the new WRs and CRFx. Both great bikes but I like my Pumpkin better: YMMV

KTM's are awesome...I personally like the 300 XC-W as an off-road bike.

To those that complain about the WR being heavy or top heavy don't forget that the 07 WR450 now has the new aluminum frame that the YZ got last year. If the change is anything like the change it made on the YZ then the new WR is going to be as nimble as a 250 and pure joy to ride. And don't forget about the Yamaha reliability.

Can you tell us about the ride? How is it compared to your past rides? etc?

OK, I was exaggerating, but not that much!!! I was and I still a little excited!!! hehehe :devil: