Sign in to follow this  

05 450sx for woods/desert?

I'm looking to buy a ktm 450 soon. I found a great '05 450sx that is near by. My question is (sorry if its already been asked.. i couldnt find it by searching) would the sx be alright in the woods and high deserts of Oregon? Is the bike easy starting? Are the gears too long? I realize that an mcx or exc would be better but would the sx be ok? Thanks for your replies. :thumbsup:

you will probably need a spark arrester and although there are only 4 gears for the SX, you can add the other two gears later on if you wanted to (6 speed kit). there are some other difference between the MXC/EXC as well, but I would expect the SX to work fine in the woods.

I ride my 05 525 SX in the woods all the time. Even on super SUPER tight single track it does just fine. Plus, the 450 comes with a 52 rear sprocket, which makes it even better in tight stuff. You will lack the top end on the desert though, but you can always add 5th and 6th gear. If it is a good deal you can't go wrong with the SX, it is a great bike.

I had an 05 450sx that I rode in the woods, track and raced hare scrambles on. The bike was really nice, however, prior to it I had always ridden a two stroke so the bike felt a little bulky to me in the tight woods. I mean the real tight and gnarly stuff. For most woods riding the bike was fine. The IMS tank was an awesome fit for that bike. It was nice and slim as well, if you decide to get a tank.

If you get it do the Honda diaphragm mod, JD needle kit, and power now. That made the bike start easy and bark off the bottom.

For the desert you could go 1 up on the counter shaft sprocket. It would pull it just fine.

There are always pros & cons of play riding a race bike. the issues are;

1: In the posts above one hints you may want to gear it up, the other down, the reason is it needs more gears. While some ride with and are ok with a 4 speed if it where me I would be doing the 6 speed conversion. parts cost is in the $300 range.

2: This model has Ti valves and a season of hard use is about what they are good for. If it was not ridden a lot it may still be OK, Take the exhaust head pipe off and look in to the port. If its all oilly budget about $600

The SX is going to be a bit more prone to stall, then say an EXC, that is light flywheel, part of what makes the SX more phun, if your a very good rider you will love it, a squid will struggle, most of us are in between?

Additionally the EXC would give you Estart.

The good news is your getting a hotter more responvie engine, bigger carb, lighter flywheel

The bad news is your limited on gears, lacking Estart, kickstand & spark arrestor

The SX will have a bit firmer suspension then an EXC, but eastern Oregon is fairly open & dry (fast) so I suspect you will be OK with that.

Basically an SX can be a great tool but it needs to start out no less then a thou less than an EXC so you can get it in shape.

Thanks for all your guy's input. I'll definatly have to look at them.. although we just found an mxc for sale that seems perfect. I think that the electric starter would be a good thing for when i get worn out, and the extra gears would be nice in the wide open stuff. Im not an expert rider, but im definatly not a squid, so i think that if the mxc doesnt work out ill be riding an sx.

Put the 6 speed in it, EXC tank, 13 tooth counter shaft and it will be P-E-R-F-E-C-T for everything form China Hat, four corners, eddieville, starvation ridge, washougal, Sandy MX, Madras MX to the tightest single track you can find. It is a little "barky" in the woods but just do some extra conditioning(i.e. get in shape), short shift and and you'll be fine-my 2 cents (best bike I've ever owned and will be pryed from my cold dead hands) :thumbsup:

and about the starting thing......learn the hot start ritual (pull hot start ,NOT conveniently located,pull decomp lever, clear 2-3kicks then it fires right up) KEEP THE VALVES ADJUSTED or it can be finicky to start. I plan to invest in a hot start/ decomp lever kit so I don't have to pull the hot start button located elbow deep behind the tank.....the bikes only flaw in my opinion but it is a small one and it always fires

I got a 540 sxs, new,from a dealer down here and i first tried running it in the trails but sometimes, in highly technical trails, the kick starting routine can be a pain. Gas mileage? The SX carb, i assume, may be the same as an SXS, which is bigger than an EXC... so better get an exc tank with the exc petcock lever. I installed a close ratio 5th and 6th gear kit (around $400 excluding labor). The 4 gears only tranny was a dissadvantage for me since i have to ride on the street to the trails.... through typical south east asian traffic and deserted back roads. Did i add electric start? unfortunately i did. I know most purists here would think that what i did was not right.... but then again.... where we go down here.... it can be virtually deserted.... and the majic button can help you get away from "tight" situations rather quickly

we have an 04 450 sx. Not a friendly bike in the woods. Enough power to keep the motor alive and the rear tire spins all over the place, back off a hair and it will stall. A heavy flywheel will cure the stalling, but you turn it in to a trail bike. As far as getting a deal on an sx add this up.13 tooth front sprocket $18, 54 tooth rear sprocket $70,flywheel $150, 6 speed kit [dealer instaled], $1000, rekluse clutch $45o. All this and it still hates to go slow.My son runs hair scrambles in Florida average speed is under 20 mph.