I'd hate to post another noise thread, but...

I have a rattle under acceleration that sounds just like a license plate nut is loose. ZICK heard it first when he was riding behind me. It is not piston slap, I'm now familiar with that sound.

I adjusted the chain tension, checked the turn signals, tail light, chain rollers, rear fender, entire exhaust, license plate among other things and still cant find the noise.

It seems like the rattle is being caused by the vibrating pressure of the exhaust.

Any ideas of what else to check??

Anyone else with an uncorked RS3 hearing the same sound?

I know ear plugs will solve the problem, but I'd really like to find the source..

I like the idea of the sound wave hitting the license plate. It was only at a certain rpm range. Like it was resonating only at a certain frequency while going up through the rpm range. I agree that it's didn't seem like anything loose. When we stopped I tapped the plate and the surrounding frame with my finger nail and could not reproduce any rattle. It seemed tight. But sound waves can do funny things when it comes to resonating from certain frequency and wave lengths. If any of you guys had physics classes in HS you know what i mean. If that Yosh has springs, look around them to see if you see signs of them vibrating a good bit.

Other than that, I know you have gone over that thing w/ a fine tooth comb and it is all tight. Your bike is brand spanking new and immaculately clean. I don't see you missing the obvious stuff ZCOP. You seem pretty meticulous about your SM. It is a real clean ride. Almost the complete opposite of mine. But then again it's 800 miles and I'm sure, never dropped verses over 3k on mine and beaten like a red headed step child every chance i get!!! ?

I have the stock skid plate which is tight. I also removed the entire license plate and went for a ride, the noise was still there.

The pipe springs are also snug, but that would make sense as the cause. The noise seems to be directly related to the exhaust vibration pressure, vibration noise is in sync with the exhaust noise.

I had the same thing with my Q2 but I couldn't find what it was. It turns out that a little clip in my turn signal worked loose and was rattling around in the housing. Not sure if this is your problem but its worth a look before you pull the exhaust.

I think I found the problem!! Not muffler packing, at least in my case.

I just rode it around for a while and checked the skid plate, muffler springs etc. No single item seemed to be the problem.

I re-installed the TEC insert and the noise was GONE!! The insert seems to break up the hammering exhaust pressure. I think it was that hammering pressure causing possibly several things to hit that resonance level to cause the rattle. (springs, plate mount etc. who knows)

I did not really notice any loss in power either, so I don't know if I'll take the TEC insert back out.

If you found it, ride it until it comes back! Hopefully it never will.. Glad to hear you got it worked out ZCOP. I might have a day or two next week we can try to get together for a ride. I'll keep you posted. ?

Can you reproduce the noise with the bike in neutral by reving it? Mine has made all kinds of silly noises with weird causes like a nut in my handlebar from my hand guards, the key chain, the passanger pegs, or my personal favorite: the rollers on the chain. Most of them do seem to go away when I run the insert, but I notice a difference in power so when its SM time, out goes the insert.

My bike probably has more loose/viby things than yours though, 13,000 dual sport miles will do that ?

I can't hear any noise in neutral when revving, but the engine is not under any load so the vibration would not be as high.

I just rode to work (where I an now) about 10 miles with the insert in. The noise is definitely gone. The bike runs well though with just a slight loss in power. But it seems smoother and less decel pop.

I have RS3, 3x3, stock carb with DJ kit to burned specs., K&N. I might have been a little lean all around and the insert richened it up, that might be why i'm not seeing a big power loss. I'd rather be a little rich than a little lean anyway.

The weather has been 100 degrees with high humidity lately so the bike should have been running rich already? correct?

I'm used to 2 strokes, so the weather might not be as big a factor as I am used to.