Sign in to follow this  

Non-thumper mikuni flat slide question.

OK, I'm hping Eddie can help me here (or anyone for that matter) I am working on a Katana for a friend. He bought it used and someone had swapped in a set of flat slide racing carbs (34mm Mikuni) and the thing runs real strong until you get above 3/4 throttle. It doesn't matter your RPM's or even how fast you twist, at that point the engine just dies. If you're running 85mph or so and get in the throttle too much you will just start slowing down, it never recovers from this as long as you continue to hold the throttle open. I havn't even pulled the plastic off the bike, just took it for a ride yesterday and figured I would start by asking questions, then dig into the carbs if no ideas come up.

Sorry it's soo off topic for this site, just thought to ask here first.

Thanks,

George

We are a little over 5400ft elevation. It has a ported head and pipe, but I think it is the stock airbox. The jets are 110's and he was told to change them to 100's by the guy who owned the bike before him. I'll check on the airbox to be sure, but if the bike ran fine at 1,000ft as is, how many just sizes should we drop for running at 5,000-6,500 feet?

Thanks,

George