lots of metal in my oil

so i did my first oil change in the drz 400. its the very first oil change. now i know because its a new engine, that there is going to be some metal flakes in the oil but what came out of my engine was anything but pretty. it was so dirty with metal, it make me think something is wrong. what do you guys think?

I did my first oil change on the SM at 200 miles. There were a few tiny slivers on the magnetic drain plug, and I cut the the filter open to inspect it and found some small flakes and "assembly debris" and that was all. Very satisfactory. What did you have exactly? Did the oil just look metallic, or did you have some substantial bits of metal? What was on the drain plug? Did you look closely at the filter?

i have had a very small amount of flakes come out of my oil before, but barely any. I've heard of this happening to other people before. i usually change mine every other race(yz450), or every three rides, sometimes more depending on how hard i rode and conditions.i would change it again, and inspect it. it may have just been from break in.

I did my first oil change on the SM at 200 miles. There were a few tiny slivers on the magnetic drain plug, and I cut the the filter open to inspect it and found some small flakes and "assembly debris" and that was all. Very satisfactory. What did you have exactly? Did the oil just look metallic, or did you have some substantial bits of metal? What was on the drain plug? Did you look closely at the filter?

there was thick build up on the magnetic drain plug. when the oil came out it was very dark and shimmery or metallic looking. i could see the particle build up in the oil. i looked at the filter and it looked black as well. just not so metallic. couldn't see any debris on the filter.

Change it again in 3-4 hrs and see if it has flushed out....You may want to clean out the frame screen as well.

If it runs and sounds o.k. ride it. Change oil as obrianmcc

stated. From your second description of the oil it doesn't sound as bad. ?

The first few oil changes can be scary. My first @ 20 miles looked like it had silver paint mixed in. #2 @ 100 miles seemed better. #3 @ 500 ish was not bad at all for metallics. This is why so many folks go for short periods between at least the first few oil changes....get that crap outa there!

The first few oil changes can be scary. My first @ 20 miles looked like it had silver paint mixed in. #2 @ 100 miles seemed better. #3 @ 500 ish was not bad at all for metallics. This is why so many folks go for short periods between at least the first few oil changes....get that crap outa there!

i feel like a jerk for waiting so long to do my oil change. i'm gonna do it again soon. thanks for all your help. ?

Hey, ya followed the directions you had. I went with factory recommendations on several new bikes over the years, with no noticeable oil related problems in many miles logged. So take it easy on Another DRZ Guy, relax, learn, do whats best for you from now on ?

I don't undertsand Suzuki's oil change interval. The DRZ's oiling capacity is only 1.9 quarts and it cools and lubricates the engine, trans,and clutch. I can't see that small amount of oil lasting very long before it starts to circulate a lot of crap through your engine. I don't change the oil that often because I think the oil is broken down and lost viscosity, I change it because I don't want that crud circulating to everything inside. Dirty oil is not nice to your engine.

i feel like a jerk for waiting so long to do my oil change. i'm gonna do it again soon. thanks for all your help. :ride:

You're fine ? ...as posted by other members, you just need to flush out the crap. You need to do a couple of short interval oil changes to facilitate the "flushing"...clean your screen....and find an interval that works for you...I change my oil every four rides (mostly offroad,, trails, etc) which translates into about 250-300 miles (or 8 hrs). again find a system that you feel works for you and the type of riding that you do.... :applause:

As everyone said, your fine. My S looked like 20 pounds of metal came out of it when I first changed it before I found TT and found out that 600 miles is crazy for a dirt bike... ?

Do your next change after a day or two of riding and don't look back...

• Like 1