Sign in to follow this  

Freeze a pipe to take out dents?

ive heard that if you fill the pipe with water and freeze it it will take the dents out off a pipe because it expands. can someone clarify this for me before i do it, and what to watch for/ do. thanks! :thumbsup:

ive heard of some weird ways to take dents out of pipes but this is by far the strangest, the theory is good but i dont think it would work on a pipe, you are talking about a 2 stroke right?

It works try it. Don't plug the ends and fill it up about 1/2 to 3/4 full. You might have to try a few times to get it all out

DONT plug the ends? or do? and you will want to fill it all the way, other wise it will just expand into the emptiness, correct?

I have successfully done this a few times on my 2002 YZ426 header pipe.

I have no idea on 2 strokes, but if you are doing it to a 4 stroke header pipe, it will work fine.

Take your header pipe off completely.

My dent was about midway through the bend.

I just filled as much water in as i could and no need to plug the ends unless your dent is way on either end.

Just make sure you can stand it up in the freezer and not have any water come out.

Leave it in overnight. You may have to do it 2-3 times to get it completely out. Once i did mine, you could barely tell where the dent was before.

I had a reasonable dent, but nothing too small and nothing too big.

If you have a huge dent, then it can probably mess it up a bit because water expands when it freezes, hence popping the dent back out. If the dent is pretty big, then it might form a crack.

Works like a charm and its free.

One of the best things i have learned from TT.

Just make sure you don't dirty up the freezer.

thanks guys for the replys. here it is in the freezer, i put it in about 45 min ago. i also heard your not supposed to leave it in overnight, or for too long cause it will expand too much. how long does it take usualy? (remember i got a 2 stroke, and theres losts of water in it)

100_0828.jpg

gotcha, seemed like an awful lot of trouble for that ding. for that much water it may take overnight just to freeze good. if you are worried about splitting a seam you could try icecubes and water so it dosent expand as much.

when my friend had a dent in his we used one of my scuba tanks and filled it with compressed air. i cant remember exactly how we got the ends sealed air=tight but we did. once we had it full of the air and had the ends capped i took a blow torch to that bish and they popped out almost right away.

thanks guys for the replys. here it is in the freezer, i put it in about 45 min ago. i also heard your not supposed to leave it in overnight, or for too long cause it will expand too much. how long does it take usualy? (remember i got a 2 stroke, and theres losts of water in it)

100_0828.jpg

It takes a pretty long time for it to freeze completely. I'm doing a little experiment with an extra pipe I have for my 125 to see if this really works. It took about two days for the water to completely freeze solid. I've frozen it twice and it didn't seem to do much, I didn't plug up the ends, though. I'm going to try that next.

It takes a pretty long time for it to freeze completely. I'm doing a little experiment with an extra pipe I have for my 125 to see if this really works. It took about two days for the water to completely freeze solid. I've frozen it twice and it didn't seem to do much, I didn't plug up the ends, though. I'm going to try that next.

I wouldn't think it would do much.

The expansion of freezing h20 is an even proccess, meaning it applys fairly equal pressure to all areas inside the pipe. Assuming a closed vessel (pipe) and an even freezing of the water in the vessel. :thumbsup:

If the pipe is steel it gets slightly work hardened when it gets a ding and this is area is more resistant to the pressure created by the freezing water. It seems to me it is just as likely to split the pipe as remove the dent, but what the hell do I know.?.

Using pressure in a closed off pipe and heating the dent to soften the area is the most effective method.

I have had a couple of my friends do it to theres, almost completely removed the dent. Have HEARD of them splitting before. I guess you have to take a chance maybe...who knows...but it's easier than compressed air if you don't have a torch or anything...

I tried to do my sons kx65 that way. Sometimes it takes a few tries. On my second try I split the weld. He had a race in a few days. So I started looking around for a place to repair the pipe. Somehow I ended up in DeWayne Jones garage. He welded the seem & took out the dent for $50. He had special fittings made for each end of the pipe & used compressed air while heating the dent with a torch. It worked great!

yeah. i took the pipe out last night at 1am before i went to bet. i put it in at 10, so it was in there 3 hours, didnt even start to freeze. i didnt want to leave it in over night, cuase if this pipe goes bad, im screwed. so i put it in when i got up this morning, and ill just folow it up throughout the day. lets hope