Sign in to follow this  

Freeze a pipe to remove the dents?

ive heard that if you fill the pipe with water and freeze it it will take the dents out off a pipe because it expands. can someone clarify this for me before i do it, and what to watch for/ do. thanks!

Yes just put enough water to fill the spaces with dents. Cap both ends and set it in the frezzer so that the water is still filling the dents.

i heard your not suppose to cap the end because then it can damage you pipe, but that just if its filled up all the way i guess

i really wanna try this because i have 2 massive dents in my pipe and they really piss me off. im scared that the pipe will crack, has anyone tried this? if so how did it turn out?

i really wanna try this because i have 2 massive dents in my pipe and they really piss me off. im scared that the pipe will crack, has anyone tried this? if so how did it turn out?

I do it to all my pipes :thumbsup:

i took out small dents from my YZ450 header, took about 3-4 times to get them almost all the way out. Your gonna need a BIG freezer for a 2-stoke pipe :thumbsup:

I would go with capping both ends one w/ a valve stem bolted into it and heat it up with a torch and fill w/ compressed air little by little.

im in the process of doin it right now... my mom wasnt to happy but the bagel bites can wait, lol...

100_0828.jpg

I done it to a pro circuit and did not cap the ends just one end to hold the water and it took about four hours to freeze ... Worked great it took out a dent about 3/4 inch deep in the middle of the swell

I've heard this works but it can't be expansion cold contracts, heat expands.

I have a four stroke header in my garage that's mashed. i have to try this.

your right, BUT when water freezes, it expands. thats what gets the dents outs ((im hoping)) lol

i am going to have to try this also, so is it cap the ends or dont cap them or does it really not even matter

i capped both of them. i dont know the difference, but if something bad happens with both them capped ill let you know. otheriwse, its workin fine so far

whatever you do dont fill it with air and heat it, the pipe could burst and shred you into pieces with shrapnel

whatever you do dont fill it with air and heat it, the pipe could burst and shred you into pieces with shrapnel

vERY TRUE!! tHAT'S WHY YOU HEAT AND ADD AIR SLOWLY!! YOU WILL SEE THE DENT POP OUT. yOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO GET IT THAT HOT WHERE IT MELTS!! wORST I'VE SEEN HAPPEN ISTHE END THAT ARE SAFETY WIRED DOWN SOMETIMES WILL SHOOT OUT LIKE A MISSLE :thumbsup:

you guys are suppsed to help me, not scare me. lol

well the pipe has been in the freezer since 11:30, and its starting to get the icey water, but it definately is still icey.

OK First up. You have no control how and the eventual outcome will be with freezing. For those who do freeze - give it time and YOU WILL split your pipe. As for the heat method- by far the best and most predictable. If you are a mojor idiot and put 180 psi then heat the pipe - well you get what you deserve. The max air pressure you should go is 20psi, even after you are applying heat. Shoot for 10 to 15 psi.

im still trying to figure out how to put 20psi in my pipe and maintain that pressure while i heat the pipe

im still trying to figure out how to put 20psi in my pipe and maintain that pressure while i heat the pipe

im just as clueless

:thumbsup:

My mechanic friend just did my pipe with heat and air pressure and it worked great. He has a special fitting that a friend of his made that caps the cylinder end, another cap goes on the stinger end with a fitting for the air hose. He sets the air pressure at 40lbs and allows a little leaking at the cylinder end. He then used a acetelyne torch and heated around the dent at the creases first and worked his way in. Magic! the pipe looks like new and it only took about 20 minutes.