Sign in to follow this  

what would you do?!?!?!?!?!

im in a dilema. my family owns 20 acres in Montana. My dad said i can move out there in a couple years with my bro if we wanted to. Currently we are in Souther California. If we would move out there we would buy a nice log house, and have someone build us a SX style track. we would also just make our own little trails around the land. But we dont know if we should move out there or just stay here. Heres a pic of the land.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/Motofreak15/Montanaland.jpg

What would you do?

How nice is it where you are in Cali? Do you have nice land there, and good availible riding spots?

Because you have to remeber when moving into the country that, therough winters (especially in Montana), Your probably a far ways from anything, and being a kid there's not much to do other than ride. I live in a small town up here in CT and when your not riding or at a party there's not to much to do that's not a 45 minute drive.

But the upside is, tons of privacy and serenity, and you can ride whenever you want and wherever you want, and there's just something about the countryside.

Just a few things to consider

have you ever been there??? I went to school in great falls for a year and let me tell you it really sucked balls... being from orange county myself I would have to tell you to say neh on the offer... that's just my opinion... you will get comfortable with the lifestyle out there and then try to move back to the oc and frankly just be bitter at the whole situation... for a while that's how I was... also don't base your life around a sx track... god a sound like such a douche right now... don't take any of my advice seriously.... or take it for what it's worth

If your life long dream is to get picked up by a supercross team then I say go for it. But if it is not your dream to race supercross think hard about it. It would be like a dream come true to be able to ride all day every day. The only problem is you would be working on your bike ALL the time when your riding that much. You would be doing a top end on your 4 stroke every 2 months. You would be going through LOADS of oil, gas, and other basic maintenance items. Unless your parents are going to be able to support your hobby while you are out there it just wouldnt be a whole lot of fun. Be honest with yourself, could you really make yourself go to work when your bike is sitting there with a track less than 100yds away?

i dont know what to do. It would be sick to have a SX track 100 yrds from the track, and id have a job at honda as a dirtbike technician, and my bro would be a metal works technician, so itd be a good pair to have, but ill think about it.

Looks like nice land, and a chance to get out of Cali, but man.....Its gets very cold there and unless you like snow and sub zero temps, stay in Cali for a while until your sure of the move. :thumbsup: Your chances of riding daily will also be greatly reduced because of the weather.

HA. Unless I could still winter in Southern Cali I would not do it in a hundred years! Have you been there in January? Hell even in the summer, the ONLY thing to do is ride. It may sound cool now, but you will likely change your mind when you are 18.

I didn't move.

I own 50 acres in Tennessee. It's a perfect place for a track but my dad has a track on his 50 acres next door so I don't bother. Even though it sounds like heaven (and it is) I can't afford to live there. I live in Florida (600 miles away) where I can make enough money to pay for all that land. Some day I hope to be able to move there but it's a long way off.

Before you think about moving to a remote place be sure you will have a means to support yourself and the lifestyle you want. Riding every day is expensive in both gas and parts.

--KT--

I also live in So. Cal. and think about moving. I could not handle the cold winters. Im spoiled here. If there weren't so many people living here this would be the best place to live on earth. You can get cheap land anywhere, Don't let that be the major factor for moving. I think if I moved out of state it would be to New Mexico. Not to many people or regulations, Cheap to buy a house and okay weather.

If you are old enough to write this email and not winning any of the ametuer titles, then it's to late, it's now a hobbie. Be realistic, go live there for a month atrail ride, make descisions off experience not web-sites.

Just to let you know were that is you are over 120 miles from anything big say a walmart or dealer ship thats worth a crap....pretty much any means of civilization as u know it in CA...u only get 6 months or riding or sooo and thats if you wann ride in the cold.....most people the grow up in a city/lots of people cant stay the country...and visa versa for me i am in the Military and i cant stay the city...soooo thats just me...and i know for a fact you have way more places track wise to ride to in CA in MT you have to travle all the way aounrd the state i know the MX circuit they do does...and lots and lots of snow...when i was home last NOV we got over 25'' in one day then anther 12'' the next and all the roads were shut down soooo yeah of coarse the cold......i have it be -25 ish or more for weeks + wind chill -60 sometimes pending on were u are and i know it gets cold out there too and its more flat out there so the wind blows more..

it sounds pretty cool but it might get boring even with all that riding, because ur not going to be riding 24/7. i could be wrong though. well if u cant do it for a couple years anyway, then just take ur time to think about it. you'll make the right decision in time.

How much do you like the great outdoors? Dirt bikes, snowboarding, snowmobiling, hiking, horses? Shooting, hunting? I forgot to mention: blowing things up!!! :thumbsup:

Can you stand being isolated without malls, movie theaters, grocery stores, extensive social life?

Or do you mind driving an hour or so to said items (being S.Cal you might already be used to that.)

Can you handle the cold? Snow? Ice? The bears? Wild animals? Awesome sunrises? Chopping firewood?

Can you adjust to a different social life and attitudes? Slower pace? Flannel?

Can you think of it as camping every day or living hell every day?

I'd go in a minute, but then I've lived for quite a while out of the great California consumer land.