Its the balancer, but not the bearings

So here is the original thread. https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389139&page=1&pp=10

Short recap for those that don't want to read it. My bike was making this awful chirping noise. It seemed to be coming from the water pump area. And it was the balancer. The bearings seem fine, but &%$#@! happened to this thing? Anyone have any ideas. The metal flakes I was finding in my oil were all over and around this thing. It seems as though it is just falling apart. This is the right side of the balancer shaft, which is right behind the water pump. Looks like garbage metal to me, what else would cause it?

P8031053.jpg

The only thing I can think of. There were slight tool marks on the special nut that holds the balancer asembly together. Perhaps the previous owner had the bearing go on the balancer and he kept riding it, and this cracked. Then he replaced the bearing and put the old rod back in, not seeing the fine cracks or he did, sold it to me, and then it just fell apart on me after a season?

believe it or not, I think the shaft comes that way. Ive seen them look exactly like that.

The bearing on that could be going for sure. Or it could be the main bearin on that side too. But I think the part of the shaft that looks chipped is the way the new part looks also.

The area behind where the bearing rides? Where it looks as though there should be a collar the whole way around the shaft but it just started to fall apart like a poor casting? It also seems to extend into where the bearing rides. Not the notch in one of the gear teeth by the threads. Which seems to be in my pic too. I know thats supposed to be there.

Heres another shot, are we talking about the same spot?

P8031041.jpg

Id dig deeper and find the problem. Check the bearings on the crank.

One thing I notice about your impellor drive is that the entire shaft looks like it carburized. Or does that copper color wipe off? If it does wipe off, take that whole motor apart and find the part producing it. I dont know where there is a plain bearing in the motor that could produce that much copper but would have to be making an absolutely huge racket.