Sign in to follow this  

Don't know the correct term....(Help)

Hey guys. Both before and after jetting the DRZ, I notice a very mild "surge" if I hold the throttle in one spot. At steady throttle it feels as if the RPMs are fluctuating...Feels like when you're crusing along and you get a mild head-on gust of wind, you feel that force holding you back for a split second, then it quits. I hope someone out there can understand what I'm describing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

well, mine kind of does that too but its not so noticeable while i'm riding. i player with my mixture screw and the rpms leveled out. but i still get that boost you described, but only in the low rpm range. sorry if i'm not much help.

well, mine kind of does that too but its not so noticeable. i player with my mixture screw and the rpms leveled out. but i still get that boot you described, but only in the low rpm range. sorry if i'm not much help.

Thanks bro. I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'd still like to know why it does it.

Dan

sounds like a lean surge. Try putting a piece of tape next to your grip and graduate it to know the exact throttle position of the problem. From there you can tell if it is a pilot/main/idle/needle problem.

based on all the reports of lean surge after 3x3 and rejet I have tried to quantify the stock intake set-up I have before I 3x3 and rejet . I also get a very mild surge I would guess at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle (good idea on the tape F4ight I will try it) it is mild enough not to affect my riding or casue concern, but I dont want to magnify it....so stock its there just a mild surge tho

I had that appear and I ended up doing two things that helped. First was the setting the correct float height. That got rid of a lot of it, but I still had it had higher speeds, so I went up a main jet size and the problem went away. I was kind of puzzled by needing the larger main since it had been working great for quite a while on the other. Later I realized that it started when we made the change to winter gas formula in my area. I suspect I could have dropped a size in the spring.

the size of the intake hole has nothign to do with a lean surge.

How so?

the opening only effects the main jet.steady throttle is the needle unless its very very very high rpm.

you can take the air box off and the needle stays the same.