Sign in to follow this  

Used DRZ on it's way - First thing to do?

Thanks to the sound advice dished out by members of this site recently to purchasing a used DRZ. I'm glad I waited, while it wasn't ideal, I got what I wanted. I bought a California street legal 2000 DRZ400E, but had to ship it. The good news I bought it from a fellow TTer, his post here were a good record of the life of the bike.

It will be here on Monday, what do I do first? I want to put some gas in it and go for a ride, but I know I should go through it with a fine tooth comb before I do anything.

What are the things are should do first? Change oil, check coolant, change tires, ?????

Here's the ad for the bike.

I wouldn't get toooooo anal. Check fluids,safety things like tire condition and inflation, brake condition,and function of lights. You know, just what you should check on a machine you have a history with anyway.Take her for a casual spin, then you can go over the thing with a fine tooth comb.

Check the fluids and ride man, swing by bakersfield and ill drink a beer with you.

Ask the seller if he locktited the primary nut, CS nut, starter clutch bolts? otherwise change oil, check fluids....ride, enjoy!

The #1 item that I would do is check all the fluids! If the oild is fouled I would change it. Otherwise kick the tires & light the fire & ride. Then go through it. On the top of my list I would grease the fork head bearings, swing arm bearings and shock/linkage. This is very often ignored until it is too late and you have to spend $150 for bearings and bushings.

Check all the fluids, I would do an oil change, just to know its fresh and done right. Then if it all checks out, ride that puppy....

Then come home and get real tires if you want to go in the dirt and mud...

Nice bike.. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feed back. This is exactly what I was thinking. I wanted to make sure I didn't overlook something bigger. Thanks again.

It will be here on Monday, what do I do first?

If you're on the TT forum, make a big transfer from savings to checking.

If you're on the TT forum, make a big transfer from savings to checking.

That friends, is T H E answer!!!! :thumbsup: Give the man a Cupie doll..........